Pacific Northwest GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry that I missed the campfire on the first night of the GTG. I am intrigued by the "campfire candles". Do you put anything inside the hole? i.e some sort of tinder, wax, cedar kindling, etc. It also looks like there is a air intake near the bottom (small slice made about an inch up from what would be the bottom)

I'm assuming that a propane torch is not always available, so some sort of kindling inside is important. What was used at the GTG?

Also, I love that little Husky 51 that I acquired at the GTG. What a nice little saw!

Jon

AKA Turbocaster

I am so glad that Bob made that available, I knew when you saw it, that it was going to be appreciated.
They are fun to tinker with, and get the full on bellow out of them. While not as stylish as some other relics, they did have a broad shouldered look, the designer, Al Coa, did a great job.

Not as stylish? You kiddin'? This thing screams "I KILL REDWOODS" at 6,000 RPM!

(now I gotta find a bar and chain and get to cuttin'... the sprocket is 1/2" pitch, and the DB B/C I have are too, but the tail is too long and I don't want to cut it. Lookin' to find a .404" setup, something in 36" or so range)

Not as stylish? You kiddin'? This thing screams "I KILL REDWOODS" at 6,000 RPM!

(now I gotta find a bar and chain and get to cuttin'... the sprocket is 1/2" pitch, and the DB B/C I have are too, but the tail is too long and I don't want to cut it. Lookin' to find a .404" setup, something in 36" or so range)

might be one near monroe :chainsaw: :)

I'm sorry that I missed the campfire on the first night of the GTG. I am intrigued by the "campfire candles". Do you put anything inside the hole? i.e some sort of tinder, wax, cedar kindling, etc. It also looks like there is a air intake near the bottom (small slice made about an inch up from what would be the bottom)

I'm assuming that a propane torch is not always available, so some sort of kindling inside is important. What was used at the GTG?

Also, I love that little Husky 51 that I acquired at the GTG. What a nice little saw!

Jon

AKA Turbocaster

Actually, the propane torch just about put out the fire. A lesson in patience is needed for the propane bearer. :) We put chips in the candles and then the experimentation began. Burvol explained that synthetic oil does not burn but I don't think anybody had that with them. I dumped some Not Madson's Saw Shop Brand Bar Oil into the chips. It was very slow to go. After the torch attempt, some of that canned mix stuff was poured in. I threw in the match and it took off.

I'm thinking charcoal lighter would be a safer alternative. Yes, you need a hole at the bottom. I'll be looking around my "needs work" wood pile for a suitable chunk, maybe get Old Sparkless going to carve with.

might be one near monroe :chainsaw: :)

Is there a way to get there without going near Seattle? :)

Slowp,

Thanks for the info on the candle. It seems like the ideal starting point for making a candle would be having a hollow log about 10 to 14 inches in diameter. Other than having a hollow log, it would be nice to do the boring cuts in the end of a long log, then cut it off.

I assume the candles burned for a fairly long time, once they got started. Is that correct?

Did you notice taller candles burning better, longer, hotter, neater than a shorter candle?

The campfire candle is a neat idea; it involved having fun with a chainsaw and enjoying a nice campfire. What could be better!

Jon

AKA Turbocaster

Slowp,

Thanks for the info on the candle. It seems like the ideal starting point for making a candle would be having a hollow log about 10 to 14 inches in diameter. Other than having a hollow log, it would be nice to do the boring cuts in the end of a long log, then cut it off.

I assume the candles burned for a fairly long time, once they got started. Is that correct?

Did you notice taller candles burning better, longer, hotter, neater than a shorter candle?

The campfire candle is a neat idea; it involved having fun with a chainsaw and enjoying a nice campfire. What could be better!

Jon

AKA Turbocaster

The basic candle, which I tried to make, is just making two cuts into the wood (an X). Then it is vented all the way. But mine failed to light. I think I'll make a wider kerf and won't shove so many chips down it. I'll look around my place a bit and see what is available. I have some willow and cottonwood down.

The one that worked was Cedarkerf's design. He bored out the center, like a pumpkin. He had a rough time because his saw was maybe overpowered? and wanted to kick out of the wood. That's why a smaller saw might be better for that work.

A coworker bought a new carving saw for her son for $300 at the not so famous shop.

The basic candle, which I tried to make, is just making two cuts into the wood (an X). Then it is vented all the way. But mine failed to light. I think I'll make a wider kerf and won't shove so many chips down it. I'll look around my place a bit and see what is available. I have some willow and cottonwood down.

The one that worked was Cedarkerf's design. He bored out the center, like a pumpkin. He had a rough time because his saw was maybe overpowered? and wanted to kick out of the wood. That's why a smaller saw might be better for that work.

A coworker bought a new carving saw for her son for $300 at the not so famous shop.

The original was done using a log then cutting it off. I used my ported 372 32 inch bar with semi skip chain. I made one couple days ago with the 032 with full comp chain bored way smoother plus wood was green and not nearly as many knots. Skip works fine for boring across the grain but not end boeing in small knotty stuff

Last edited:
Hi everybody...

Just back from my trip and checking in to see how it went. Looks like another great event! Wish i could have made it this year, but I'll try even harder in the autumn or next year.

Ironbark,

The Pacific NW GTG was a tremendous success. We certainly look forward to seeing you and your wife at the next one.

Jon

AKA Turbocaster

Hi everybody...

Just back from my trip and checking in to see how it went. Looks like another great event! Wish i could have made it this year, but I'll try even harder in the autumn or next year.

I tried to boost the local economy since Kate wasn't there to do it... however, I didn't manage to be as successful... I'm an amateur at shopping I guess... hope to see you both next year!!!

Hmmmmm????????

A big "Thank You" to Farley and his better half Liz.:hmm3grin2orange::yourock:
What a great weekend and we had a blast!!

As for the excitement, that was pretty funny!!
I will let Bob fill in the details as it is his Neighbor.

Gologit we missed you!!!
I know some people have to work.:cry::cry:
It was really nice to meet some more people.
Bruvol, that Salmon was the best we have ever tasted, and Brian is not a fan of any kind of fish.
Hope everyone else had a great time. If you didn't it's your own fault.

OOOOOOHHHHHHH Patty, are you missing something?
I have your hot dog roasting stick hostage, until we meet again sister!!:chainsaw:
:clap::clap:

I guess I missed all the fun!!!!!! It sure looks like it!!!!!

We Missed You Too!

Aside from all the chainsaw fun we had I never got the chance to call the food court "The Rat Hole"!!!
Hope you make some of the next ones...........Bob.....:cheers:

Ps....more pictures on FaceBook....Pacific Northwest GTG.....:clap:

Hey Ric!!!

untitled.jpg

Rhett did some great work on photos,

For the second year in a row, I filled my pockets with chips using a Solo. Last year it was a 681

SOLO.jpg

this year it was a 680.

36384_405852860876_580855876_490090.jpg

Can't wait until next time.

Nice Saw Randy!

Rhett sure did a good job with his photos. To see more go to the Facebook page. Pacific Northwest GTG. I think he is going to put all of them on a disc. If I get one I'll make copies!
Randy.....You didn't hurt the 372 after all. I pulled the muffler because I thought it had over heated and pinned a ring but it all looked good inside and passed a compression test. Still runs good. May have been running out of fuel.
By the way I forgot to give you the Mac 35. Next time!!!

Nathan I sent you a THANKS on that 410 but not sure you got it. The email came back to me! Congratulations on getting that old Homelite running. How about some pictures.....( I may still have the bar & chain for it )
Did see the nice W/T words......THANKS!

Eric....I do have the rest of that Pioneer. I'll set it aside for you!

Brian...Or whatever the heck your name is......How come I still have all those Stihl 031 &32 parts?????

Adam.....Did Lynette get that antique piece? Liz wants to know.

Still comming down from a GREAT WEEK END.......THANKS AGAIN & AGAIN EVERY ONE ......................Bob & Liz

Last edited:
It's good that the 372 wasn't cooked, it is a strong running saw. I worked it pretty hard in the 24-30 inch wood. I like zippy little saws, the orange ones you had were very nice.

Latest posts

Back