Pacific NW get together

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're looking at the possibility of driving down the 101 to see the redwoods that week too. How's the drive down the coast?

Ian

I didnt get to do the Redwoods last time in May 07 but did it as a young man and really didnt appreciate it for what I know now,,,,,,, Funny how our priorities change,,, Back then I was thinking about another species of Fur at the time,,,,:dizzy: and it wasn't a Dougie,,but there was a woody involved!!! LOLOL!!!!!!! it is really a beautiful ride!!!! ,,,,:clap: :clap: You will remember it for the rest of your life,,,,,,, wish I was going with yas!!!! :cheers:

Be sure you start at the top of 101... The Hoh? rain forest is pretty cool. I think thats how its spelled. Its fun to do the loop around MtSt Hellens too. Here is a pic off my deck:)

Good advice John,,, I posted some pics from HOh Rainforest in my Rivers Great PNW Chainsaw adventure thread it is really something to behold,,,,, Great hiking you could spend a few days there... went there from Sequim,,,,, it was great!!!!!!! man this is not good for me!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Mt St Helens
The road to Windy Ridge will NOT be open the first weekend in May. Or the second weekend. Probably not a chance until Memorial day and maybe not then. No logging outfits are going to plow, and I don't know whether the FS road crew will or not. If it is open, it means we've had a heck of a sudden thaw and the valley here and west will have a flood.

Kayaks. If my Subaru is running ok, I'll bring the 14.5 foot Carolina and the 17 foot Flame. Got spray skirts, paddles, life vests. I usually only wear a wetsuit if forced to. I have a built in one. The spray skirts etc. are sized for the circumferentially challenged, as are the kayaks. I've had the Carolina out on Chequamegon Bay (Lake Superior) in 4 foot seas and it bobs like a little cork. I've only tipped it over intentionally and while getting out. I have a sail board too, but you know, there are big barges going by on that river and it is nice to be able to get out of the way. So I'm not bringing it.

Cookies. If they turn out, I'll bring some. But no ex lax ones.

Will come if I can find a reasonably priced, but decent motel room.

Ima Hoh!!!!!

This is the sign @ the entrance,,, I think you spelled it right John!!!!

attachment.php

This is what it looks like driving in that tree towering over the rest of the forest canopy is a good'un the clouds are always hanging there

attachment.php

This is a picture of the west end of Hurricane Ridge In Port Angeles right after Hwy 101 turns South,,,, I went up there a bit after I left Sequim,,,
It was Snowing it A$$ off in may?????? LOL!!!!! so I got out of there,,,

attachment.php

May is a fickle time of the year. Could be frosty, could be hot. Real hard to predict. And this place is in the middle of the two different climate zones.
You'll probably need to wait and see the forecast. Which hasn't been too accurate lately.

The Super 8 there in The Dalles is asking $67 and change for 2 people per night. Not too bad.

Ian

Cut some maple down today and hauled it to the field. These are a couple 18inch maples for you stihl guys. Need the bigger equiptment to get the red firs down to the field. Just getting started. How much wood do you think will need?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yea, this is kinda last minute. Still don't know if I'm coming for sure, just getting the numbers together. We are AAA members (that hotel price is with the discount) but Expedia doesn't offer to give a discount. We'll probably have to call the AAA travel agency to see what they can do.

Ian

Last edited:
Yea, this is kinda last minute. Still don't know if I'm coming for sure, just getting the numbers together. We are AAA members (that hotel price is with the discount) but Expedia doesn't offer to give a discount. We'll probably have to call the AAA travel agency to see what they can do.

Ian

I know you said something about bars. I have a ton of bars you could try for your husky if you wanted to. If you were coming you could ship the saw PHO.

Yep, I'll either do that or come empty handed and just burn up everyone else's gas and rock out their chains just to make a good impression. :greenchainsaw:

Ian

Any door prizes for traveling the farthest? :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back