Pacific NW get together

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got down here in time. Sun was out today. Must have been 50 degrees. I was siting in the sun for at least a hour, just to feel what it was like again. Ah... the sun! Warm. How soon one forgets! Orion is up now, the stars are out here. Yep they are still there, along with the sun and moon.

Oh, another interesting sight on I-5. Around the Santiam River it is VERY much flooded. I was looking up at a power line tower, and there at the top was a bald eagle! Expanded water territory for them to survey. I have seen a lot of bald eagles, but none on I-5 before.

Oh ya. Well I can see the moon and Orion too. Only difference is that we are at a balmy 24* right now. The creek behind the house is just thundering by. Hopefully the cold and lack of precip will help get some of the flooding under control.

Don't worry you'll soon be back. Oregon seems to have a way with folks. You can move away and call it what you want, but soon enough you will either be back or be wishing you were back.

Years back we were working out of Coburg on I-5 and we regularly saw a nesting pair of Baldies. Every now and then I talk to a buddy that still lives down there and he said that, that pair has grown into 4 or 5 pair. They are just scattered around the area. It was kinda cool to watch them work the flood waters in '96. More than fish they were really ahmmering the ducks. Seems as if there were thousands of duck comming into all the sheet water that was around. They would hit them on the water, the coolest was seeing them a time or two take them out in flight.

Enjoy the warm while you are there. You'll be back. At least hopefully be back around May anyhow.

Take care and best of luck to ya.

Owl

Oh, I am just down here for the week. More redwoods and bishop pines to drop and buck up. Just a short 'logging' vacation. I start ski patrol on Mt Hood after that. My friends here want me to move back to sunny CA though. It is also freezing here at night, even near the coast...
'96 was a wet one. And that year the floods ruined my plan to ski all the main Oregon ski resorts in a week when I was living in the SF bay area. I skied Ashland, then Willamette Pass, then Bachelor, and then the freezing level when up to 7000 ft and it all washed out. I was in Bend and could not get to Mt Hood, or up to Hoodo on the Santiam Pass, or anywhere else north or west that year. The roads were all closed into Portland and the Willamette Valley. So I had to turn around and go to Lake Tahoe and finished my ski trip at Squaw Valley. The next year was the El Nino in California, and we got whalloped in the SF bay area with flooding galore.

Go Chargers! ;)

Last edited:
Hey I'm back. Can I get back into the banter with everyone?

The Mrs and me have come up with a couple weekends for possiblities. Should we keep it here or start a new thread about this. I was thinking that the good natured back and forth could continue on another thread. Also making it easier for interested parties to find out more info and give some in put with out having to wade thru some much good time back and forth. How does that sound?

Owl

Sounds good to me. Picking a date that fits everyone's schedule is hard to do. Figure out what works the best for you and give us as much advance notice as you can...we'll make it work.

As far as keeping the bantering on a different thread...I like the idea but I'm not real sure it would work. Maybe the mods could make it a sticky like they did last year.

Enjoy being home. Keep your feet dry. You might want to rest up, too. LOL.

Last edited:
if my memory serves me correctly, Bookerdog successfully had 2 or 3 threads going... as long as location or a clear identifier in the title, i think this crowd is bright enough to follow along...

Spotted Owl, thank you so much for taking this on!!! and i was excited to read that you finally got Christmas-- great kids willing to wait!!!

I'm betting his ears will be worn down, before he can get a word in edgewise. :clap: :clap: :greenchainsaw:

A balmy -3°F here this morning.

A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 PM PST MONDAY.

SNOW WILL BEGIN ACROSS THE GRANDE RONDE VALLEY LATE THIS EVENING. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS BETWEEN 5 AND 11 INCHES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL MAINLY LATE TONIGHT AND TOMORROW MORNING WITH THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS OCCURRING ACROSS THE NORTHERN END OF THE VALLEY.

SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL ALSO REMAIN STRONG DURING THIS TIME WITH 30 TO 40 MPH SUSTAINED SPEEDS AND GUSTS TO 55 MPH EXPECTED. THESE WINDS WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW THAT WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL TRAVEL HAZARDS.

Last edited:
I'm betting his ears will be worn down, before he can get a word in edgewise. :clap: :clap: :greenchainsaw:

oh my-- not that kind of a relationship at all... we've talked online a lot while he's been gone, so he's well aware of the various things going on here... the situation will probably not be discussed at all... i had my "shrew personality" surgically removed years ago... well, except when it comes to Gologit-- he's just such an easy target...:clap:

A balmy -3°F here this morning.

A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 PM PST MONDAY.

SNOW WILL BEGIN ACROSS THE GRANDE RONDE VALLEY LATE THIS EVENING. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS BETWEEN 5 AND 11 INCHES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL MAINLY LATE TONIGHT AND TOMORROW MORNING WITH THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS OCCURRING ACROSS THE NORTHERN END OF THE VALLEY.

SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL ALSO REMAIN STRONG DURING THIS TIME WITH 30 TO 40 MPH SUSTAINED SPEEDS AND GUSTS TO 55 MPH EXPECTED. THESE WINDS WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW THAT WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL TRAVEL HAZARDS.

OH my... be safe!!!

Cascade storm warning tonight

Winter Storm Warning, Sunday, 04 January 2009 16:54

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OR
854 AM PST SUN JAN 4 2009
ORZ011-WAZ019-050615-
/O.EXT.KPQR.WS.W.0002.090105T0000Z-090105T2100Z/
NORTHERN OREGON CASCADES-SOUTH WASHINGTON CASCADES-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GOVERNMENT CAMP...DETROIT...
SANTIAM PASS...COLDWATER RIDGE VISITORS CENTER...MOUNT ST. HELENS
854 AM PST SUN JAN 4 2009
...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
1 PM PST MONDAY FOR THE SOUTH WASHINGTON AND NORTH OREGON CASCADES...
THE WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM
4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 1 PM PST MONDAY.
SNOW LEVELS WILL BEGIN QUITE LOW IN THE CASCADES AS THE NEXT
STRONG AND MOIST PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM MOVES IN LATE TODAY AND
ACROSS THE AREA TONIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING. FROM 1 TO 2 FEET OF
NEW SNOW IS POSSIBLE IN THE SOUTH WASHINGTON CASCADES THIS
AFTERNOON THROUGH MIDDAY MONDAY. FROM 6 TO 18 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE
IN THE NORTH OREGON CASCADES...WITH THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS NEAR
MOUNT HOOD.
SNOW LEVELS WILL RISE TONIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING AS WARMER AIR
WITH THE STORM SYSTEM MOVES IN...BUT THE SNOW LEVELS IN THE SOUTH
WASHINGTON CASCADES MAY NOT RISE MUCH ABOVE 3500 OR 4000 FEET.
SNOW LEVELS NEAR MOUNT HOOD WILL RISE TO AROUND 5000 FEET OR SO...
WHILE FARTHER SOUTH SNOW LEVELS MAY RISE TO 6000 FEET OR HIGHER.
STRONG WINDS WILL LIKELY CAUSE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF
SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN
AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...
FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

Never mind, the central part has a warning also. Trinity, you may make fun of me if it floods and I get stuck on the wrong side of the river. Only you won't know I'm stuck on the wrong side of the river until I'm not. :)

Snowing here too Grrrr...... Just has to get up on the roof in the dark, snow and wind to get the creosoted chimney cap off! 45 days of burning 24x7 finally did it in... 8 inches of ice on the roof...

Snowing here too Grrrr...... Just has to get up on the roof in the dark, snow and wind to get the creosoted chimney cap off! 45 days of burning 24x7 finally did it in... 8 inches of ice on the roof...

It's cold here too. Around 40 degrees....bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Where I am here in northern CA they are actually hoping for snow. You know, for the effect. An inch or something. Enough for pix and then gone the next day. Of course, they are in a drought, and it will maybe rain for a bit on Monday. At my brother's it is snowing again. Clackamas Co. is under a flood watch again. Glad I could get out of the PNW moisture events for a week down here.

Wow snow for the most part is gone. Everything is getting back to normal. Time for a nap in the easy chair.

Wake up my daughter is in a panic Mom fell down and can't talk. My boy is out there wearing my corks helping her up. She can't talk cause she is laughing so hard. Bight red in the face and embarassed like she hasn't been in a long time. She saw me and started laughing again and back down she went. I tried to helper and she pulled me down and landed on me. Goofy as it sounds it was alot of fun. We haven't laughed that hard together for a long time.

Seems she was out in the barn for couple hours tending to things and when she tried to come back in everything is covered in 2+" of ice. While she was out there freezing rain moved in and has blanket covered everything. Even the animals have ice on them. Darn things won't get into the barn to get out of the weather.

So know we have the freezing rain aspect of winter, WOOHOO.

Trin, if you get it like this you better have Mr. Wonderfull bring in a 40 footer so you can carve your daily marks of captivity. Can Mr. W chain your car for you? That may give you just enough to remove you from your captive chamber to get into to town for your caffine fix. You do drive with chains on don't you?

Look for a new thread about a poll(if I can figure that out) about a few dates for everyone to choose from.

Owl

Man, that's tough. It only got up to 48 today and the bright sunlight gave me a headache.

The sun. The sun. Do you have photographic evidence? We don't think that sun is even in existance around here anymore.

Proof we need proof to substaniate your claim. Headaches caused by the sun, memories, sweet memories.

Do you start the new job soon. Up and gone by 2am, man o man that comes and goes early early early. May the wood clean and thrifty, the ground be forgiving, and the mill scalers be half blind.

Got a call this evening. The boss has a pulp job. Pays $4/ton only him, my boy and me cutting. May have to help on the ground work on this one too, the boy doesn't get in on that aspect yet. He wants this one done fast as possible, incase the mill goes lower than the current rate. Mill pays just under $18/ton. He isn't gonna clear much on this job. Low money like this has me thankfull, that I listened to the old timers and got out when I did. Also thankfull that I am able to do this as often as I do on the side. More often than not though I wish I was still a full timer.

Lake be careful. Ice and roofs seem to be an awfull dangerous mix. Can ya just leave the cap off for a while until things get better. With a constant fire water/rain/snow/ice/moisture shouldn't get into, let alone down the pipe. That way it would save you from having to do this again in the near future.
Becarefull Bubb. I for one would like to see ya come spring time and the Mrs. enjoyed talking with your Mrs. last spring.

Owl

Back