Painting equipment advise...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diy mechanic mike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of painting a bucket truck and eventually a few other pieces of equipment... and I have a sand blaster that I got for 30 bucks a while back needed a new ball valve.... anyway I'm slowly sand blasting a few crevices and hard to reach spots with blaster and my compressor does a decent job keeping up but eventually blaster wins.... FYI: I'm knew to sand blasting so still learning best way to operate the rig... I have the harbor freight garage 40lb blaster thats rated for 6-25 cfm and pressure range 60-125psi, I also have a Hitachi gas compressor that is 5.5hp 8gal max pressure 145psi air delivery 10.9cfm@40psi 9.3cfm@90psi... so know that that is out there how can I make this the most efficient way to prep for painting... I've searched a bit on the web on how to increase cfm, by connecting tanks to give more volume of compressed air... how could I do this?
Another thing I tried was ezrental but the smallest cfm they had was 8cfm then to 100cfm, could a 100cfm compressor be toned down to work more efficiently for the blaster then my compressor cuz I'm willing to rent for a day to get this done fast?

Btw I know this isnt really the site for this but it is for painting a bucket truck and I'm sure I'm not the only person here that wants to make his bucket truck look nicer lol.

Thanks mike

100cfm is probably about right. No need to tone anything down, it'll just fill the tank and bypass if you use less air than it can make.

After selling my tree service in 2004 I started buying and selling used chippers and stumpers. First thing was to steam clean machine, sandblast and paint, even put on factory decals. I used a 150 CFM trailer compressor. Bought grit at Tractor Supply. They had best prices. Make to seal up everything. Parts I didn't want to paint. Used masking tap with duck tape over it. If you have any questions let me know. Good Luck

Just do the ol "Ritchie Bros rebuild". Have seen dozers come through the auction that the painter (or owner) never even swept the dirt clumps off the blade and painted right over it.

Lol the previous owner of my tractor done just that but over packed dirty grease from the 1970s on the entire tractor... I would never do anything like that, geez I'm imbarresed for him now that its mine Haha. But I got the bucket truck painted up pretty good for a work truck. I did sand blast the chipping paint on the lower boom and the cab rack and just power sanded the cab/lower boom and the new paint stuck great it was my first time painting with a spray rig and I feel like a pro Haha but would never take up this profession. But I mixed hardener with paint dont remember exact ratio but it was great once it dried it's like a smooth glaze paint job and I have a aluminum chip box so didn't have to paint that only the boom, cab, and cab rack. But overall it looks 100% better before looked like a salvage yard escapeee now it looks like a $15,000 bucket truck that I only have 3000ish into and it's now ready for work.

Back