Palm trunk too close to barrier wall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMBpalmtree

Reaction score
Picture showing concern: One palm tree trunk base is growing very near barrier wall. I believe it is a queen palm. Palm was planted before I bought the house in 2004... I believe it was relatively newly planted at the time. The largest palm is now nearly touching the wall... a piece of paper can slip between the part that is almost touching. Question: Will this tree continue to push into the wall....Do I need to cut down that one tree at the base? What are my options? As you can see from the pictures, there is not a lot of land to "stake" the palm to pull it away from the wall. Any advice would be appreciated.

Palm_IMG_4495.jpgPalm_IMG_4496.jpgPalm_IMG_4497.jpg

I can assure you that the diameter of that trunk will continue to increase, albeit slowly, if the tree is allowed to live. In a contest between the cmu wall and palm the palm tree will win. Even if you could pull the tree to angle it away from the wall, the diameter would increase at ground level. Unless you are willing to sacrifice the wall in that area, your best solution would be to cut not only the large one but also the two keiki growing by the base. They, by themselves, are also really too close to the wall.

i would say it depends on the quality of the wall. the diameter could increase and just push the soil out. if its not a wet lay cement wall or a light landscape wall then it will lose. let them fight. if the tree wins then garden around the wall bending to hide the appearance of a tilted wall. or re route the wall. keep in mind the tree may actually hold up the wall in the long run. i just get mad at the idea of removing long lasting trees for the sake of short lived walls and fences. people, lets get our priorities straight. this case could be different though, I don't deal with palm. if its a really good wall, it will win.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

It's a good thing people don't buy house pets the way they buy trees. "But, it looked so cute when it was in the nursery, in a little pot!" Yup. I'm sure it was adorable.
Then again, so are polar bear cubs. When they get up to about a thousand pounds or so, the cuteness starts to wear off.

Back