Pants or chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello Fellas

I know this probably gets asked a lot but what should a homeowner wear that does occasional firewood cutting ,pants or chaps. I think that chaps have the potential to get hung up on things and could create an injury by themselves .
Thoughts Please
WesternSaw

I have both. Pants are awesome in cool weather and when you're gonna be running saws off and on all day. It's great not having to think about whether you're wearing them or not. Just throw them on in the morning and you're good to go. I have the Husqvarna classic pants. They're considerably more comfortable and less restrictive/annoying than chaps.

Chaps are quite a bit cheaper though, and if you've only got to make a few cuts or run a saw for half an hour then drag brush for an hour or more, it's nice to be able to shed them, especially in hot weather. Also, chaps (at least when comparing my two examples) are thicker skinned. For clearing brambles or something like that, chaps will protect your pants and legs from abrasion whereas the pants would probably start to suffer wear.

+1

I have both, too... pants for cooler weather, chaps for hot days. With the chaps, the cops will sometimes stop and insist you wear pants with them, which isn't as cool, but I understand their sentiment.
With the pants, you can drop a couple of icecubes in a beer-koozie and... well, nevermind all that. They're lots hotter than the chaps.

Never worn the “saw” pants, out here the guys have the internal chaps that pop into your jeans or they wear chaps. Summer if I’m hand falling I’ll pop in the internal chaps, winter when it’s raining sideways out here I’ll wear chaps they help keep your rain gear tight, and your wedge belt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both Stihl and Husky brand pants... I think the chaps are Stihl brand, too. They all seem to be pretty well made.
Those high-dollar, lightweight, climbing chainsaw pants look real nice. Cooler, lighter... but priced as high as giraffe nooky.

Thanks for the replies fellas ! Husky pants were mentioned ,any brand chaps recommended ?
I have and like Stihl chaps. For me the open back of the leg and ability to take them off and put them on easily without removing boots is important in my warm and humid climate. I wear them with cargo shorts. There are numerous youtube videos showing tests of chaps and pants. Not all are created equal.

They're like child car seats - they all meet the outlined safety standards. What drives the price are the bells, whistles, and overall materials quality.

I picked up Forester brand chaps from Amazon, under $50 US.

They're like child car seats - they all meet the outlined safety standards. What drives the price are the bells, whistles, and overall materials quality.

I picked up Forester brand chaps from Amazon, under $50 US.

Some meet the standards, some exceed them to varying degrees.

Back