Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Pants or chaps

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by WesternSaw, Jun 1, 2018.

1. WesternSaw

WesternSaw Addicted to ArboristSite

Hello Fellas

I know this probably gets asked a lot but what should a homeowner wear that does occasional firewood cutting ,pants or chaps. I think that chaps have the potential to get hung up on things and could create an injury by themselves .
    Thoughts Please
    WesternSaw

2. Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos ArboristSite Guru

I have chaps. They don't get hung up, they allow for cooling, and they can be removed without showing the world what you trip over. :innocent:

WesternSaw, crowbuster and Duce like this.
  3. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

I have both. Pants are awesome in cool weather and when you're gonna be running saws off and on all day. It's great not having to think about whether you're wearing them or not. Just throw them on in the morning and you're good to go. I have the Husqvarna classic pants. They're considerably more comfortable and less restrictive/annoying than chaps.

Chaps are quite a bit cheaper though, and if you've only got to make a few cuts or run a saw for half an hour then drag brush for an hour or more, it's nice to be able to shed them, especially in hot weather. Also, chaps (at least when comparing my two examples) are thicker skinned. For clearing brambles or something like that, chaps will protect your pants and legs from abrasion whereas the pants would probably start to suffer wear.

WesternSaw, JeffGu and Duce like this.
  4. JeffGu

JeffGu Antagonist/Heckler

+1

I have both, too... pants for cooler weather, chaps for hot days. With the chaps, the cops will sometimes stop and insist you wear pants with them, which isn't as cool, but I understand their sentiment.
    With the pants, you can drop a couple of icecubes in a beer-koozie and... well, nevermind all that. They're lots hotter than the chaps.

5. Skeans

Skeans Addicted to ArboristSite

Never worn the “saw” pants, out here the guys have the internal chaps that pop into your jeans or they wear chaps. Summer if I’m hand falling I’ll pop in the internal chaps, winter when it’s raining sideways out here I’ll wear chaps they help keep your rain gear tight, and your wedge belt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WesternSaw likes this.
  6. WesternSaw

WesternSaw Addicted to ArboristSite

Thanks for the replies fellas ! Husky pants were mentioned ,any brand chaps recommended ?
    Thanks !
    WesternSaw

7. JeffGu

JeffGu Antagonist/Heckler

I have both Stihl and Husky brand pants... I think the chaps are Stihl brand, too. They all seem to be pretty well made.
    Those high-dollar, lightweight, climbing chainsaw pants look real nice. Cooler, lighter... but priced as high as giraffe nooky.

WesternSaw likes this.
  8. derwoodii

derwoodii Tree Freak

for a home owner im thinking chaps as can buy 2 pair for one pair of pants cooler easier... But i see your from BC so if your working day temperature is under 25c then pants will work and help when its cold

WesternSaw likes this.
  9. dancan

dancan Tree Freak

JeffGu and WesternSaw like this.
  10. CacaoBoy

CacaoBoy ArboristSite Lurker

I have and like Stihl chaps. For me the open back of the leg and ability to take them off and put them on easily without removing boots is important in my warm and humid climate. I wear them with cargo shorts. There are numerous youtube videos showing tests of chaps and pants. Not all are created equal.

11. Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos ArboristSite Guru

They're like child car seats - they all meet the outlined safety standards. What drives the price are the bells, whistles, and overall materials quality.

I picked up Forester brand chaps from Amazon, under $50 US.

12. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

Some meet the standards, some exceed them to varying degrees.

CacaoBoy likes this.