part swapping experiment stories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihldragon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been saving outdoor 2stroke equipment engine parts for close to six years. There's a lot of parts that fit on a wide range of engines, especially carburetors. If it almost fits, then you can easily modify it to fit perfectly. With that said, if you want to experiment with part swapping, it's nice to have lots of parts. When I'm throwing away an old piece of equipment, I tear it down completely. I save everything except for the damaged parts and a few plastics that I know I'll never use. I'm careful with that because I've thrown away parts I ended up needing. You never know what you might discover when you sit down and analyze all of your parts during a simple repair. The other day, I was repairing the clutch on an ms201tc, and I swapped out the plastic needle bearing with a metal one I found in my spare parts. I think it makes the entire saw more durable. One time, I put a top end from a Ryobi handheld blower on a Homelite weed eater crankcase. It was several millimeters larger and it fit perfectly without a base gasket. I don't remember what the carburetor came off of but it was larger than the original. I also made an expansion chamber out of a spray paint can and some thin steel tubing. Sorry I don't have pics or an exact RPM reading but it was at least triple what a stock one could do! I would love to read about some experiments similar to mine.

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back