Partially Rotted Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do with rounds that are partially rotted?

• I split it and keep the punky stuff attached

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I split it and then remove the punky stuff

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Leave all of that **** out in the woods!!

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Just curious. If you start cutting up a tree and the rounds are partially solid but partially punky, do you take them home or no?

With supplying wood for 3 households this year I got more selective. I used to cut everything, bring it home and salvage what was good. Trouble was at the end of the season you have a pile of garbage to get rid of. Now I try to weed out bad wood before I even cut unless it’s oak. The big red oak this year had the first 8’ of trunk all rotted and crumbling. But I scraped thru the rotted bark and wood and found out the rot was only 2-3” deep and only on 1 side. So we did salvage 8’ of the trunk that we almost left.

I don't cut firewood in the woods. We haul the logs to the yard.

If i run into junk, it either goes in the shop stove or goes to a friend's ex-gravel pit thst he's filling in.

I've done all three.

These days I wouldn't spend too much time removing the punk.

If you have a really good spot to dry and pay attention to how the pieces sit, the punk will harden over and it's not a big deal. It won't burn as long as the solid obviously but it saves time while salvaging wood. If you have a shady spot and toss it without thought, the stuff will end up worse than it started.

I have burnt some in the past were i cut into some to see how bad it was maybe 1 or 2 sticks i always load up what i cut and burn it. My brother logged some white oak 2 years ago in the summer and the tops started rotting that fall i was hard up for wood and burnt several loads of the small stuff that didnt need split. I went and looked at some of the tops today and any thing 4 inches and down is junk but the bigger stuff has about a inch of rot on the out side. I cut and split some today is this a wast of time or will it be ok to burn?

Usually I split at home. Will try split off old Punky Brewster before throwing in to crates. May burn the pile of punk or just ride over it until it goes away.

And when I run into it, there is an English accent that says "Pun keey!!!!" In my head every time....dunno why

Back