Partially Rotted Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do with rounds that are partially rotted?

• I split it and keep the punky stuff attached

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I split it and then remove the punky stuff

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Leave all of that **** out in the woods!!

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
I won't haul it home if it's completely punky, but say it's a hollow tree; the shell can have a lot of solid wood for burning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I try to split off the punk wood, but I’m not going out of my way to do it. The punky mesquite gets more solid when it dries out or falls off in handling. I don’t get any complaints on it. But if I drop a tree and it really bad I’ll leave it lay. If I cut it already I’ll throw it in my stash.

Unending supply here and I find it burns fine, just a lot quicker than the good stuff.
I process it all and put it to use at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot of times my splitter won't split it off cleanly, it breaks apart in chunks so I'll even grab my axe and shave some of it off too. Less dust in my house the better.
Don't forget grab up all the meal worms fallin out for the chickens :sweet:

I split it off, never really have had any luck in getting to dry out... it just usually gets softer and remains wet over time... then it spreads to nearby wood... especially if oak. Now, if it's more than 50% punk, then I won't even waste my time and will either discard it to the burn pile or firepit supply, or leave it on site to go back into the ground. I don't really have an endless supply of wood, but I can afford to be selective with the resources that are available to me. Punky wood also makes more of a mess that I have to drag indoors. Eff that ****...

I dont bother hauling to house if it's obviously rotten. Oak and hickory i might split off the bad stuff and keep the rest. I also hate leaving junk wood just laying all over the woods.

punk or garbage wood is great for the early/late parts of the burning season when you just want a quick fire to warm up the house

I can't remember if your a small stove or ODB guy.

Small stove, pop off the punk and leave it for the worms, ODB, as long as it's not mushy wet .... pile it, it'll dry ... burn it ....

Keep on .... Runnin' Loads!!

Back