Partner 5000 Plus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipomac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Partner 5000 Plus which my family purchased new back in the mid '80s. We were up at our cabin to cut firewood using two homeowner saws. First day we couldn't get the Sears saw to stay running and the McCulloch had to be prime to to restart.

After wasting one day fighting these two saws my folks said we needed to buy a decent saw. I said 'Stihl'. Next morning we went into town to the Stihl dealer and my folks came out with this Partner. My first reaction was, "Oh crap, they just bought another YELLOW saw." Turns out this saw never left us wanting.

After pulling it out to clearing some brush a few months ago, I went on the internet and did a searched on the 5000 plus. Whoa... pro saw, chainsaw races, collector saw, "the saw the modern chainsaw is based on." Never knew what I had.

Now I have two concerns. First is the availability of parts if I might ever need them. But primarily I feel like this saw should be with someone who would appreciated more. To me it's just a good, decent, reliable tool. I've been in the trades and a carpenter and cabinetmaker for the better part of 35 years. I don't get sentimental with tools. I buy the best I can afford and I want them to do what they're supposed to when they're supposed to, no fuss!

I think I should sell this saw to someone who really wants it and pick up another similar good, decent, reliable saw. Maybe a good used 260.

I'm asking you guys because you are some of the most helpful and opinionated :) guys I've read on the internet (that's a good thing). What do you think I can get for this saw, high and low, and what would be the best way to get the most. I have bought and sold a fair amount on eBay and Craigslist, is there some way better for saws?

Oh, condition. Very good. If I had to guess, 5-6 cords of wood, and once or twice a year, a tree trim. The only issue, I had to replace, I think, a fuel tank vent hose the last time I used it.

Thanks
TIP

I should be able to post pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have a Partner 5000 Plus which my family purchased new back in the mid '80s. We were up at our cabin to cut firewood using two homeowner saws. First day we couldn't get the Sears saw to stay running and the McCulloch had to be prime to to restart.

After wasting one day fighting these two saws my folks said we needed to buy a decent saw. I said 'Stihl'. Next morning we went into town to the Stihl dealer and my folks came out with this Partner. My first reaction was, "Oh crap, they just bought another YELLOW saw." Turns out this saw never left us wanting.

After pulling it out to clearing some brush a few months ago, I went on the internet and did a searched on the 5000 plus. Whoa... pro saw, chainsaw races, collector saw, "the saw the modern chainsaw is based on." Never knew what I had.

Now I have two concerns. First is the availability of parts if I might ever need them. But primarily I feel like this saw should be with someone who would appreciated more. To me it's just a good, decent, reliable tool. I've been in the trades and a carpenter and cabinetmaker for the better part of 35 years. I don't get sentimental with tools. I buy the best I can afford and I want them to do what they're supposed to when they're supposed to, no fuss!

I think I should sell this saw to someone who really wants it and pick up another similar good, decent, reliable saw. Maybe a good used 260.

I'm asking you guys because you are some of the most helpful and opinionated :) guys I've read on the internet (that's a good thing). What do you think I can get for this saw, high and low, and what would be the best way to get the most. I have bought and sold a fair amount on eBay and Craigslist, is there some way better for saws?

Oh, condition. Very good. If I had to guess, 5-6 cords of wood, and once or twice a year, a tree trim. The only issue, I had to replace, I think, a fuel tank vent hose the last time I used it.

Thanks
TIP

I should be able to post pictures tomorrow.

Keep it, maintain it, and USE it like it´s supposed to! It will love you for that!
If you keep it in good condition, the value will only rise!

Besides the piston and cylinder, parts are readily available. The Poulan 325 is the same saw with only some minor differences.

If the 5000+ isn't giving you problems, keep it & run it. Wait until it starts getting tired before you sell it (if saw repair isn't for you).

The only parts availability issue would be the piston and cylinder, though there are other top ends that will work on that saw. The Husqvarna 50, 51 and 55 top ends can be installed on the Partner 5000, but you can expect to lose some proformance. Wait for Modified Mark to find this thread, he buys and sells these saws all the time and can probably give you a idea of the value.

Here are pictures of the saw.

182505d1304356157-tip-01-jpg

182507d1304356181-tip-07-jpg

182508d1304356188-tip-08-jpg

182509d1304356239-tip-04-jpg

182510d1304356245-tip-03-jpg

Last edited:
I've bought a decent runner for 150.00, if it is really good condition I'd say 200.00. I've also bought one that had a scored piston that was in great condition otherwise for 30.00.

Back