Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Summary of the ignition system on my 55S. It is a magneto system. The flywheel has an embedded magnet and when the magnet passes under the coil the Hall Effect produces a build-up of voltage in that coil of wire. Then when the flywheel magnet passes the coil, the field collapses and the voltage has to go somewhere and so it goes to ground by passing through the spark plug wire, jumping the spark plug electrode and going to ground in the cylinder head. For decades these systems were used in automobiles and we also used magnetos on race cars since they require no battery to run the ignition system and are not prone to failure like points are.
I am still stumped at what this RIFA module does. I can't find any literature on the thing and the way the wiring is set up it appears to be a non-sensical device and completely useless. It has o only one connect coming out of the casing and that connection goes directly to ground. The casing is grounded through one of the small bolts holding into the chain saw trigger housing. So when this is hooked up you have a black wire that connects to the ground side of the coil, which then goes to the RIFA. Since the RIFA is already grounded, once you hook up the black wire to the coil you effectively ground-out the coil. Now is this Stupid, or What????

I might have saved my old bad ignition coils so I will look tomorrow.This is what I think if your saw is points equipped the coil should have two wire connections one to the points and one to the switch to ground the saw to shut off.It sounds to me like some one has put a rifa module and coil on the saw to convert to electronic.If you had the original points coil with two connections you would take the wire from the coil that went to the points and reconnect it to the rifa ungrounded terminal.The grounded coil terminal would go to the switch then your saw would be electronic because you have eliminated the points and condensor.
If some one put the one piece electronic coil on your saw you would only have one wire on it and that would be the ground terminal to the switch and you do not need the Rifa if you hunt there is a chart put out by Partner that shows what saws came with what ignition it is self explanitory two piece can be converted to one piece coil points saws can be converted to trigger module.
Kash

Last question if your saw is magneto is there a wire from the magneto going to the coil or is it disconnected.I think you have a rifa from a early system and a coil from a later system that does not require a Rifa.
Kash

If your saw sparks good save the Rifa for converting some other engine to electronic.My R420 was originaly a rifa saw when the coil went I put the latest style coil one piece rifa built in the coil BUT I left the rifa in the saw and I had no spark because the rifa was bad and was grounding the saw.I cut the rifa wire off at the switch and horray great spark
kash

Hi Guys,

I got a nice Partner P100 Super yesterday, runs well , might need a carby kit to make it perfect.

Just wanted to ask, if there is any difference between the normal P100 and the P100 Super ?

Also would like to get a carby kit for it, can anyone tell me which kit i should use ?

Cheers

Justin

Attachments

• 20210403_131319.jpg
    20210403_131319.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210403_131404.jpg
    20210403_131404.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210403_131419.jpg
    20210403_131419.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Have a chance to pick up a model 700 locally for $30 looks complete in the photo. I could probably get that for the chain brake if it's toast.

So picked it up (is a 7000 plus) and all looks good even came with a bar and chain. $25 Cdn in the end and a 1 hour round trip. Loads of Comp thought it might have a comp release button but haven't found one.

I been kicking this around for a week now. I think it would be great to have a Partner saw thread. I took a liking to the 500 series saws and all the other makes and models using this design. There is a lot of good info on these saws on this site, but sometimes hard to find when searching for a specific thread. Post any pictures of any Partner saws and their brothers, even if you have posted them already. Lets try to make this thread a wealth of information on these great saws.

arrowheadpioneer

Here's my Partner 5000+

arrowheadpioneer
Here are 3 of my nine BC303ADF-6256-46BF-B2E4-522BD83FF6EE.jpeg
arrowheadpioneer

Partner 500

arrowheadpioneer

Jonsered 590

arrowheadpioneer

Jonsered 490
L

Like the pics .for about the last ten years I have been on the hunt for a 5000 Partner or a Jon 590 or 490 .I feel a twinge of envy but feel good for you to own these saws.
Enjoy
Kash
Kash I got a 490 that runs like a dream for sale and a 5000 plus that’s fricken mint minus that this saw was straight gassed it would appear before being placed on a shelf for almost 40years. Even got a p 100 I’m open to parting with that runs and cuts like a monster

Back