Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given a Partner saw SN1008958 16" sprocket nose 3/8. Bar is OK, chain is toast.
See (you suck-2018)
I am having a tougher time than usual to ID this item. It is probably around a R15 or R16 as it is a rigid handle. However it has a two part ignition and has no points, so I assume it is a "T"version. All the pieces except the clutch cover are black without a spec of yellow anywhere except for a later brake type clutch cover, which is all yellow. I had seen somewhere that the R15 was the rancher version of the R16 and is the reason for the black paint.
Can anyone please help clear it up for me-thanks
[photo=medium]5129[/photo]
[photo=medium]5128[/photo]
the chain brake is a modern addition, it wouldn't have had one originally. C.D

its a farmer f55 I think ?
Acres site does not appear to be to thorough on Partner products. However my saw does match the R16 mag metal starter pull cover pattern with horizontal slats and the cylinder cover has just a hole for the spark plug with a rubber plug cover.... Acres F55 pix does not jive with my saw. Is the acres site wrong? I have a hard time resolving all the differences, but it does not seem to have all unoriginal parts except the yellow clutch cover with brake.

the chain brake is a modern addition, it wouldn't have had one originally. C.D

I did mention the yellow late brake cover did not appear to be original since every other bit of the saw is black.

The carb is tillotson HS117B date 5 43 (75 week 43?) Which might indicate later than R16? But I can't even find HS117 or acres/R16/HS137 in tillotson literature?
I will keep looking deeper into the hardware to see what I can discover. Maybe saws in the USA/Canada are different than UK?
CD Thanks for your input. I guess school is still in session for me :cheers:

r16s were all yellow, the farmer series were black, some of them had orange top covers, others black top covers with stripes. the semi pro series were black too but had yellow top covers. yours has a farmer top cover and is black so I'm assuming its an early farmer series saw given the kill switch and choke switches appear to be the same colour ? it is basically an r16 but its branded farmer to for the farmers/agricultural market ? just like the stihl 038 farmboss is a stihl 038 super, marketed for farmers. C.D

I think the F55 without antivibe was all black but a yellow top cover and is a Thyristor ign.

I have a Skil 1632 that is the same as a F55, its yellow with a black top cover and has that same style chainbrake cover. That cover is a R style cover and is too old to be a 7000 driver cover.

Check the bore and you will probably find it to be 44mm. Also show a picture of the bottom so I can see the oiler type on it.

I'm thinking its a F55..

Blows 135psi
carb is HS117B 5/43 (Acres only shows HS117B on a 1971 R20???)
Popsicle stick measurement fall slightly short of 44mm
3 shoe clutch with rim
kill switch appears to be white if not exceptionally sun bleached yellow, yet same color internal as well as out side part. Both switches have a touch of black overspray
However no yellow anywhere except on later clutch cover.
partner 001.jpg partner 002.jpg partner 003.jpg partner 004.jpg

you need to de-coke that exhaust port before you crank her up otherwise it will be sucking in flaked off carbon and scoring your piston. £130psi isn't fantastic compression, can you check to see if ring is stuck ? and I've never seen an ignition coil like that one fitted to that, not that I can remember anyway, and my memory is slipping ;o) the switches are definitely different colours it was hard to tell by the other photo I was looing at. I'm guessing the kill switch would have originally been yellow ? I had an old r16 I recently sold and both its switches were creamy colour, it was an early example. I think the r16 , farmers, r20 were all built on the same chassis ,? but I'm sure they will be more qualified persons than my self who can put us both straight on that? partner were good at standardising parts, with many interchangeable parts, even on their disc saws ;o) k65, k650 etc. C.D

CD
Yes it sure is puzzling.
According to acres the R17. R18, R19, R20(65cc) are all antivibe.
I am familiar with my Partner K700Active with a complete tear down and rebuild. You can see it in my gallery. I can see design similarities with the saw.
On my new Partner saw, I will probably get a new black clutch cover since the yellow one is in tough shape.

Yep, that oiler is the same type and for sure a Thyristor ign. I'm satisfied its a F55.

Like I said, far as I know, that is not a 7000 style clutch cover/brake. At least it's not like the one on my 7000+ or P70. Looks like R model verson to me but my Skil model has the same style without the cast in lettering.

44mm rings are easy to get if you want to swap in a new set, I'm also pretty sure the crank seals will be standard metric seals.

For there displacement they are pretty strong running saws.

Thanks MM
No reason to further think the yellow clutch cover is a 7000 other than the previous owner may have seen the 7000 scratched on the cylinder cover by a nail/scribe in the paint.

The clutch cover shape more closely resembles a anti vibe version like (acres) S55, S65, R421T, not counting the color scheme.
1975 R421T ?
prtnr421.jpg

It may take a while but I'll get it going.
:chainsaw:

Thanks MM
No reason to further think the yellow clutch cover is a 7000 other than the previous owner may have seen the 7000 scratched on the cylinder cover by a nail/scribe in the paint.

The clutch cover shape more closely resembles a anti vibe version like (acres) S55, S65, R421T, not counting the color scheme.
1975 R421T ?
prtnr421.jpg

It may take a while but I'll get it going.
:chainsaw:
Looking at Acres will steer you wrong most of the time, especially if your looking for correct photos. That is a up to late 70's style cover, seems early eighties they went with the newer style brake with the plastic handle all the way forward on it and with a decal on it. . That includes the S55 and S65 etc. Now the 421T does have the style of yours but that was a 70's saw too.

Here is my 7000+ and you can see the decal is missing on it.

100_4194 (Medium).JPG

Sorry to be such a pain as I'm new to partner. Any good sources for parts on these mid 70's 55cc older saws. I did find 2 items so far.
Still looking for spark plug boot/ 277541--- exh gasket/279106---- carb surround air dam/279106.
does the 505 or 503 prefix help with searches?
I did notice the F55/bitza it is domed piston and closed port cylinder with the good casting #:happybanana:

Sorry to be such a pain as I'm new to partner. Any good sources for parts on these mid 70's 55cc older saws. I did find 2 items so far.
Still looking for spark plug boot/ 277541--- exh gasket/279106---- carb surround air dam/279106.
does the 505 or 503 prefix help with searches?
I did notice the F55/bitza it is domed piston and closed port cylinder with the good casting #:happybanana:

Parts are hard to find. Sometimes the prefix will help with searching for part numbers. Ebay searches turn up parts sometimes, but sometimes you just have to get creative on old saws. Since the sparkplug boot is covered, being original is not a big issue. Some Poulans like the PP295 I think used a angled spark plug boot like that. I may have one here, who knows. Gaskets we just make. You can find exh gasket material if you look.

I may have to change the model ID to 1975 F55/bitza. It has the R-16 open hole top mag cover not the covered plug type. The angled boot is split. I found an obsolete NOS stihl boot that will work. Not for show saw. As long as it's solid and runs good that's OK for me. I can make gaskets if necessary.

Some info in case you guys haven't seen it. Apparently Meteor is making 44 and 45 mm pistons for the 500 and 500 plus (maybe 5000?) Saw them n DLA engine parts.
I looked there Tim, all I see in 44mm is the open port solid piston for the 500 which is the same as the Husky 50 etc, and is the same piston in the 44mm Husky 350. In 45mm the only one in the Partner series is the Formula 500 which is open port and the same as a Husky 51. The only 45mm closed port was used on the Jonsered 590 which I have not seen from anywhere. The windowed 5000 closed port piston I have not seen from Meteor. The aftermarket one from Chainsawr I don't know if its junk or not, but until I find someone else to buy from I won't know first hand as I don't deal knowingly with wanna be crooks.

Hi Mark,

I've heard various reports on the Lil Red Barn pistons that Chainsawr carries. They seem to be all over the place. Steve tried a 3400 piston. Not a press fit on the wrist pin and it isn't chrome plated. He smoked his cylinder using one. I think someone used a 5200 piston and all was good so far.

Another guy used one on a Super XLAO and the rings were absolute crap. He ended up buying some Cabers for it.

I get the feeling they haven't a clue as to what they're doing.

Hey Guys!
Just picked this up and trying to decide what model it is. It has the 56mm piston so that narrows it some. It was missing the coil and I put a 55 husky coil on to try it, I can get it to pop but I think I sprayed to much oil in the lower end to lube the bearings. Anyway I would appreciate any info and whether to sell it whole or would I get more parting it out? I tried to do a compression test on it and couldn't turn it over without the de-comp pushed, so seems to have a ton!

Attachments

• DSC01221.JPG
    DSC01221.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC01222.JPG
    DSC01222.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC01223.JPG
    DSC01223.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01224.JPG
    DSC01224.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01227.JPG
    DSC01227.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01231.JPG
    DSC01231.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 22
Hey Guys!
Just picked this up and trying to decide what model it is. It has the 56mm piston so that narrows it some. It was missing the coil and I put a 55 husky coil on to try it, I can get it to pop but I think I sprayed to much oil in the lower end to lube the bearings. Anyway I would appreciate any info and whether to sell it whole or would I get more parting it out? I tried to do a compression test on it and couldn't turn it over without the de-comp pushed, so seems to have a ton!
its at least 85cc as it has the 5 stud pull cord housing, it could be a p100 or r35 type partner, I'm not sure what size piston either have ? CD

Back