Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first Partner (and largest cc saw thus far) - R440T I just picked up on feebay. Was being sold as a P85. Even got a manual with it, which has "440" written on it. Dunno where they came up with P85, but I was happy to snap it up! Seriously, I didn't know anything about Partner saws, and it took like 5 minutes of searching to figure out what this was prior to buying.

Despite the look of the paint and the clutch cover, I'd say this had a reasonably easy life. Looks to be all original except for the bolt holding the recoil to the side case. Cylinder and piston looked fantastic! Exhaust tube is missing from this picture, but I have it and the screen. Biggest issue with it is that at some point the clutch drum partially wore its way through cover. Well that, and the safety chain. :laugh: New 28" bar and chain on the way!

I've seen a few pictures of various Partners with signs of clutch drum wear on their covers - is that just a quirk with them? Both bar plates are there... Maybe someone ran it without plates and one time and put them back after it wore through?

Resized_20200219_150048_4576.jpeg Resized_20200219_215741_8119.jpeg

Often referred to as "the Toaster". the previous owner may have run the saw without bar plates which would place the clutch cover closer to the clutch, or maybe installed the wrong clutch.

toaster :laugh: Yeah, I can totally see that now looking at the pics, especially the pull start side. I had a couple names in mind for it, but I might stick with "toaster" now. Toasty? Sunbeam?

Hey fellas I got a closed port 5000 parts saw here and would like to try and modify it what are the easiest things to do to gain power without messing with timing. Would widening the exhaust and intake help on the cylinder while not changing the actual height of the ports. I took saw apart and it’s way nicer cylinder then my firewood saw And don’t wanna mess it up being a not so common part anymore. Thanks.

Help,,,,I’m trying to preserve these old saws as much as I can, restore them and run them maybe once or twice a year. I have a r40 I just purchased that needs the rear handle throttle interrupter fixed. Where can I find one? Will the inner working parts from another partner rear handle work? I’d like to rescue her.

Can you post a pic of what you need Huskybill? I probably have one that you can have. Many of those rear handles will interchange. I have a pile.

Here’s my r40,,,,

Attachments

• 33952CAD-7918-4BA3-9C67-E73A21B6E29E.jpeg
    33952CAD-7918-4BA3-9C67-E73A21B6E29E.jpeg
    549.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 29D9A1DB-CAF2-4E9C-8207-32FF25A2FBD1.jpeg
    29D9A1DB-CAF2-4E9C-8207-32FF25A2FBD1.jpeg
    698.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 11D93F42-B2AD-4E3E-BC37-08435FD649FE.jpeg
    11D93F42-B2AD-4E3E-BC37-08435FD649FE.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 05770692-8DFA-4EB5-9D42-F932771D0228.jpeg
    05770692-8DFA-4EB5-9D42-F932771D0228.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 14
What part are you looking for on that r40? I'm not sure what a throttle interrupter is. Do you mean the safety part of the throttle?

So far I fixed the bar adjuster with the correct length screw. The throttle loc out on the handle is next. She’s a big heavy 6.1 / 100 cc saw. I like that. Tons of compression probably wasn’t run much. She’s gonna look good next to my R12/90 cc and my P85/85 cc saws.

So far I fixed the bar adjuster with the correct length screw. The throttle loc out on the handle is next. She’s a big heavy 6.1 / 100 cc saw. I like that. Tons of compression probably wasn’t run much. She’s gonna look good next to my R12/90 cc and my P85/85 cc saws.

Just got a r440 up and running that looks lightly used, and the compression on these things is no joke! After I cleaned out the carb, I was drop starting it to see if it'd fire - at one point the decomp valve shut and I didn't realize it. Next pull, I nearly yanked it out of my hands LOL!!

I'm a little more cautious starting it now...

BTW I like the bucking spike on that one, that's mean looking! Might have to hunt one of those down...

G'day guys
Been reading through a bit of the thread & thought I'd join in.
I love my old Partners, I got interested in them as both my Pa & dad used them for firewood collection. I've got my Pa's since he's passed, so it's nice to take them out occasionally for a run.
This is my Pa's R12 & R16. The R12 has cracked around one of the muffler mounts, so I'm in the process of getting someone to weld it for me. Also will need a carb kit. The R16 is a good runner.R12.jpgR16.jpg

This is a second R16 i bought as a parts saw... as the old story goes, there wasn't much wrong with it & now i have a good running saw. I still need to replace the fuel line as who ever did it previously didn't use large enough hose & it leaks where the hose goes through the tank. Also need to put a boot on the plug...R16 1.jpgR16 2.jpg

Besides the r40 I have a partner r12 and a p85 I haven’t looked at yet. They sounded like they need tune up on the video the PO posted. I have a few 50 cc and 40 cc toasters too. Someday I’ll sell some because we’re not suppose to crowd them during the virus

I managed to get these two a while back. The one closest in the pictures is a 7000, but I'm still not 100% on what the other one is? When I got them saw told the other saw doesn't run so was for spares... once again all that was wrong was that the coil lead wasn't making a decent connection to the coil. By luck i have an identical saw missing a coil so i have spares for it, but still not sure on the model?7000 1.jpg7000.jpg

This i bought a while back, F55. Has been sitting for a long time but has spark & fires on prime. It's on the list of projects...F55 1.jpgF55.jpg

Latest posts

Back