Parts for a Poulan 71 A

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canthook Coasty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Other than going to E-bay and Craig’s list, is there a source for new bars and chains for a Poulan 71A?
All the stuff I have found so far is just as old as the parts I want to replace. I would be happy with just chains, as the bar is still good, I just want a bigger one.

Other than going to E-bay and Craig’s list, is there a source for new bars and chains for a Poulan 71A?
All the stuff I have found so far is just as old as the parts I want to replace. I would be happy with just chains, as the bar is still good, I just want a bigger one.

This is a good question and I can only tell you the little that I know.

The Poulan bar for most of those sandcast saws is used on most all of them and it of course pretty much obsolete and as far as I have found there are no presently produced bars that are a straight up bolt on.

That don't mean that theres not some that might be able to be made to fit. A regular Poulan D176 mount is not tall enough in the tail to fit.

The tail on the Poulan bars were pretty large and had a 3/8's slot. I have not tried it but I think that a large mount Stihl bar like for a 075-076 would probably fit up pretty well with minor modifications of slotting the adjuster holes and a set of stud spacers. Another good thing is that bar is easy to find in the .404 pitch of the 71-A./

Next time I get Cbfarmall to come over, I'll ask him to bring one of those bars over so we can try it on the Poulan 71-A that I have.

I did convert a older roller nosed 21" bar off a old Mono Power Products saw to mine and it seems that those older Oregon universal mounts fit up pretty easy to them.

I was very happy to find my 71-A with a original Poulan 31" bar on it and it runs it very well.

Mark,

Have you tried a Large Frame Homelite or McCulloch bar on these Poulan saws? They're both 3/8" slot, and have a 'wide tail'. Oiler and/or adjuster holes may need fixin'. I have a 'universal mount' Oregon bar that I've ran on both big Homelites and McCullochs with success. Wide tail, and a 3/8" slot.

What's the slot measurement on the Mono/Wards? Mine's BURRIED out in the shop right now. I'll measure that bar someday. It'd be cool if I could use that bar on one of my big Homelites or McCullochs. It's a 25" RN and would be great for GTG fun on those old big-inch saws. I'm not going to run that WD60 much. I immagine it'd be a good ripping saw with that big open clutch area....

Chains should be easy as it is just .404.
The bars as Mark mentioned are near impossible to find listed individually.
Those old hard nose are not that desirable, but the only thing those old beast came with.
I had a old hard nose bar cut. pretty straight forward for any local machinist.
If memory serves me I think it is 3/8" bar slot.
David Bradley bars are a close match. (will have to double check on that)

Mark,

Have you tried a Large Frame Homelite or McCulloch bar on these Poulan saws? They're both 3/8" slot, and have a 'wide tail'. Oiler and/or adjuster holes may need fixin'. I have a 'universal mount' Oregon bar that I've ran on both big Homelites and McCullochs with success. Wide tail, and a 3/8" slot.

What's the slot measurement on the Mono/Wards? Mine's BURRIED out in the shop right now. I'll measure that bar someday. It'd be cool if I could use that bar on one of my big Homelites or McCullochs. It's a 25" RN and would be great for GTG fun on those old big-inch saws. I'm not going to run that WD60 much. I immagine it'd be a good ripping saw with that big open clutch area....

Chris had mentioned that the old large Homelite mounts would probably be close as well. I didnt mention them though as there no longer made either are they?

The Mono bar was a 3/8's slot and the 71-A use 3/8's studs as well. The mono bar is close to the Oregon universal also.

Here is the 71-A with the 21" roller nose on it with a 8 tooth.

attachment.php

Chris had mentioned that the old large Homelite mounts would probably be close as well. I didnt mention them though as there no longer made either are they?

The Mono bar was a 3/8's slot and the 71-A use 3/8's studs as well. The mono bar is close to the Oregon universal also.

Here is the 71-A with the 21" roller nose on it with a 8 tooth.

attachment.php

Good info Mark. The large frame Homelite and McCulloch bars sadly aren't made anymore. A ton of NEW Carlton hardnose bars in the large Homelite pattern have been sold on feebay over the last two years. I should have grabbed one of the 50" bars that were sold in the beginning of that run. Methinks Baileys (or some distributor) sold a bunch at one time. About two years ago, Baileys briefly had some 25 and 30" Carlton hardnoses in this pattern in the clearance section. Spotted them late one night while surfing. Went back to the site a few days later to buy a few, and they were gone. The ebay listings came up shortly thereafter. There's three or so guys selling them. All hardnose. Some with new loops of chain. 36" and smaller now. The 50" and 60" bars went quick (dammit, I could use 'em for my XP1030G). I think one of the sellers is a bar guy that has had some listing issues. You may be familiar with that.....:popcorn:

I saw an NOS .404 Poulan 53/71 spur sprocket listed on feebay tonight BTW. Those are two model #'s I remember from his listing. I make no claims for the accuracy of his info..................etc etc etc...

Oh if ya'll only knew.

Spill the beans Joe!!!:jester:

Back