• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Parts saw or project. 162se, 66, 268, ???? Husqvarna anyway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I don't know exactly which model this is. I can tell you it is 50mm bore and the serial tag has a SE on it. The muffler has the screw out screen. @SawTroll would ID this in a heartbeat. If you know let us in on it.
Anyway it is for sale. Obviously been sitting under somebody's bench for a long time. Needs a piston, clutch cover and fuel lines for sure. Top cover has a crack in it. Maybe more as you get into it. It does have spark. Fuel tank looks good and crank case also. The middle bearing on the crankshaft is tight. The cylinder looks like it will clean up with some work. What you see is what you get. I think $99 and I will pay shipping this time.

Attachments

• 66 001.jpg
    66 001.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 66 002.jpg
    66 002.jpg
    979.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 66 003.jpg
    66 003.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 57
The first two digits of the model number appears to be 16, meaning that all but the cylinder bore points at a 162SE as it looks to me.

However, there is a very slim chance that the cylinder is the original, and the saw actually left the factory as one of the elusive 166 saws. Some of those surely were made before the 266 came out - but there is no evidence (as far as I know) that the 166 model ever got past the pre-production/test saw status before becoming the 266.

I do not know the meaning of the letters "KAS" on the tag, and the serial number doesn't tell me anything in this case (except that it is close to the number on another tag with "KAS" on it).

Thanks. I hope it is a rare saw. I can't say the cylinder is original but it is 50mm. What do you think of the unusual muffler? It has the removable screen and looks similar to the type I have seen on 2100 etc.

Aren't the KAS saws the models that were sold with a compressor attachment for an air bag?

Air bag = Nordfeller device (an inflatable felling wedge, inflated by exhaust gas from the saw).

You may be right, and I have been considering that possibility, without reaching at a conclusion yet. Normally the saws with that device simply said FE or FG on them instead of SE or SG though - but then I don't know if that was the case all the time and on all markets.

If this is the case it likely would explain the unusual muffler as well, which is adding to the likelihood that "KAS" has to do with the Nordfeller device.

By studying some IPLs, it became clear that the Nordfeller parts and some extra recoil cover decal options (assumed to say FE and FG on them, for lack of other possibilities) first were listed in the 1979-06 IPL: http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/husqvarna162-1979-06.PDF.

To me, this is an indication that any connection between the Nordfeller system and the "KAS" designation must have happened before (approximately) that time (June 1979).

If the new owner takes a good look at the "lobes" of the crank, there may be some numbers on one of them, that may give a more accurate estimate of when this saw was made.

Latest posts

Back