Parts storage and organization ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
I’m looking for ideas on how you guys like to store and keep parts organized. I find myself obsessed with different families of saws frequently and now have lots of parts in boxes and bags floating around my garage.

If you can share a few words or pics on how you like to stay organized that would be great

2 for $10 hdx organizers for smalls, large flat rate boxes for medium size parts and the 27 gallon black totes with yellow lids from Home Depot. Everything is the same size so it all stacks together nicely.

image.jpg

Not my intent to use them for saw parts, but I recently scored several stainless steel shelving units from a
Sears store that is closing down:(. They would be great for whole saws though; they're 2' deep.

I've been trying to get the Stihl parts better organized at work. We've got 2 large I think 9x8 metal cubby shelves, side by side for a total of 144 little cubbies. The way I'm tentatively going forward is to fill one whole thing of them up with carburetors - so far I have about 1/2 of one full of carbs. I'm not sure yet if that's a lot or not enough. Seems like a lot of tools eventually need the carb replaced so it's probably not too much of a gamble - I keep virtually all the 10 different 250 carbs in stock, for instance.
The other side has common parts in descending order: fuel filters, fuel lines, sprockets, drums, clutches, tank caps, springs, etc. Air filters will be hung up on corkboard, eventually. I'm also working on individually bagging and tagging every part (not carbs and other things that are already singled out, with part numbers on them) so when I need, say a fuel filter I grab a baggie with one that has the part #, sku and price for easy write up. Or if a customer needs one - bingo here ya go. And bulk rewind string is hung up on spindles with a tape measure, lighter and cutter right by them.

I don't quite have a good grip on it all yet - I feel like there's probably some common parts I need to keep in stock. For instance just got some pawls after someone came in asking for one. Nuts, bolts, washers, grommets, bulk hose, tensioner parts, various kinds of springs (throttle, rewind, etc). Even a few coils might not hurt to have.

What I really want to do is keep bins on my work bench with small, common stuff, gaskets, fuel filters and spark plugs for example but the head mech has kind of stonewalled me on that.

Be careful on stocking parts, you can lose a fortune that way.

Yeah, have probably 50k of new parts that is basically collecting dust. Mower, weedwacker, snowblower, etc parts for units most people sent to the dump 20+ years ago.
Saws too, though have been able to sell some to collectors.

Yeah that's a good point... I guess the art of stocking is in knowing what you need and not having a bunch else. How many 880 rewind covers am I likely to need to replace in the next year? Well, I don't think we've ever even sold one in our store so...

And dealing with customers that expect you will have parts in stock to fix their 1967 model push mower or KMart brand chainsaw that was maybe expected to last a few months after buying.

I've been thinking we need to go to a prepay on special orders system - a lot of them just never get picked up. I also think we should be able to charge people half hour to look at their stuff. I get people bringing in garbage that I have to waste my time just to tell them it's not worth fixing and make $0.

Latest posts

Back