ArboristSite.com Sponsors

patches of deer hair

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors!!!' started by craddock, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:03 AM.

1. craddock

craddock ArboristSite Operative

I always hunt my fathers place in West Virginia and did again this year but with some strange findings. We always would see 20 to 40 deer a day on this 400 acres but this year we rarely saw more than 2 or 3 a day. Our trail cameras showed there were deer early in the summer but not so much now. What we found were patches of deer hair approx. 3 to 4 foot around. There was a lot of hair but no hide, bones or meat just hair. We found 7 or 8 places like this. The ground wasn't tore up just piles of hair. The only thing that has changed that we know of is that we have a lot of pictures of black bear for the first time this year. Does anyone have an idea what might be happening?

2. MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt Addicted to ArboristSite

Not a clue, but I’m definitely interested in what you do find.... hopefully someone else chimes in. I was gonna guess ‘yotes but you said no bones.

3. stillhunter

stillhunter Addicted to ArboristSite

Are they bedding areas? maybe hair left from shedding their winter coats this spring?

4. Leeroy

Leeroy ArboristSite Guru

Aren't 'yotes and wolves known for that descriptions

5. MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt Addicted to ArboristSite

Dunno, when the coyotes get them here in NY, you find the bones and not much else...

6. Duce

Duce Addicted to ArboristSite

Must have wild pigs, they eat everything.

7. SuperDuty04

SuperDuty04 ArboristSite Operative

It'll look like this when a carcass has been fed on or even just died and left to rot. Scavengers will drag the bones off and all that remains in lots of hair on the ground. I've seen this a lot with coyotes preying on deer. I would assume it'd be the same with bear.

8. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    I've seen a lot fewer deer in the past couple years up here near Wheeling but no patches as described.

9. craddock

craddock ArboristSite Operative

We just found the patches of hair in the last two weeks so I think shedding is out. I wish that I would have taken pictures but dummy me didn't think to. There is enough hair the make a blanket. I would think that the deer would be nearly bald if it lost this much hair. As for bones I thought that I should find a rib cage or something but there is nothing. Just a pile of deer hair. Three of the piles are within 100 yards of each other in the edge of the pasture. We have had coyotes for years but this is the first time of this.

MechanicMatt likes this.
  10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Addicted to ArboristSite

I had a road kill deer last spring I took to the back of the place with the loader and dumped. 3 weeks later I was in the area and all that was left was patches of hair. So I started a cicular search and came up on the bones about 75 yards away in some thick brush. Lot of chew marks on them. I believe coytoes and pussons were eatting in the carass and most likely coyote drug it closer to the den for pups.

I have a friend lives in WV and this year has been shooting a lot of coyotes and not seeing the nice bucks he always gets.

:D Al

MechanicMatt likes this.