• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Paulownia trees

John MacNaughton

John MacNaughton

Website
www.noodor.com
Hi!

I'm thinking of planting a Paulownia tree in my back yard (20 miles S of Chicago) and was wondering if they can survive a Chicago winter? They are supposed to make great shade trees and grow to 30+ feet in two years! WHat do you know of them. Some info is at http://www.paulownia.com but I would like to hear what you know before I make a decision.

Thanks so much...

John

Deere John

Deere John

ArboristSite Operative
Website
Visit site
30' in two years. Pawshaw! That's Canadian for BS. Remember that your growing season in Ch. is only so long, and these statistics apply 1) to a 365 day growing season 2)by a person wanting to sell you something.

Besides, if it did grow 30' in two years, in 4 years it would become dangerous because the density is not there, and in six years, you would have to pay a professional $800 to take it down. Probably go pretty good through a chipper though - in fact, if it grew 30' in two years, I would plant a bunch around the city - short-term job security. :D

Plant a local species.