Pay close attention to your depth gauges...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kunte

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi,

As you may or may not know, I recently discovered the progressive depth gauge filing philsophy (courtesy of this thread https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...epth-gauge-supported-by-software-tool.320388/ ), and I posted the very positive feedback gained from making and using Hannes69's gauge.

I subsequently ordered an FG-4 filing gauge from my local Stihl dealer. It has both a "soft" and "hard" setting. I immediately dropped it onto some new Stihl full-chisel chain, and was amazed at how small the difference was between the two settings. I could barely detect the stick-out with my thumbnail (humans can feel down to about 1 thousandth of an inch by touch), let alone see the difference. This prompted me once again to be extra vigilant with the setting ot the depth gauges, and to say once more - eyeballing them is simply not good enough, and those who claim to do it by eye are simply fooling themselves. Yes, you can probably get it close, but you are robbing yourself of the proper, smooth cutting performance of which your chain is capable.

If you want to get the most out of your chain in terms of longevity and efficacy and comfort in use, pay close attention to your depth gauge settings. You will thank yourself over and over!

Safe cutting!

Mike out...

Hi,

As you may or may not know, I recently discovered the progressive depth gauge filing philsophy (courtesy of this thread https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...epth-gauge-supported-by-software-tool.320388/ ), and I posted the very positive feedback gained from making and using Hannes69's gauge.

I subsequently ordered an FG-4 filing gauge from my local Stihl dealer. It has both a "soft" and "hard" setting. I immediately dropped it onto some new Stihl full-chisel chain, and was amazed at how small the difference was between the two settings. I could barely detect the stick-out with my thumbnail (humans can feel down to about 1 thousandth of an inch by touch), let alone see the difference. This prompted me once again to be extra vigilant with the setting ot the depth gauges, and to say once more - eyeballing them is simply not good enough, and those who claim to do it by eye are simply fooling themselves. Yes, you can probably get it close, but you are robbing yourself of the proper, smooth cutting performance of which your chain is capable.

If you want to get the most out of your chain in terms of longevity and efficacy and comfort in use, pay close attention to your depth gauge settings. You will thank yourself over and over!

Safe cutting!

Mike out...

Guys!

My apologies! It's not a Stihl FG4, it's an FL4 filing gauge! :baba:

Back