Peavey vs. cant hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Other than the curved tip on the cant hook, whats the difference in the two (what are they each meant for)? We need to add one for another crew, should we get the peavey or cant & how long of a handle?

In 2003 I bought 2 cant hooks with 4' wooden handles. In 2005 I had one of the handles snap while putting some a** behind it trying to move a good size log. Lucky I had on a heavy winter coat as the handle split when it broke and the sharp part did a job on the front of my coat. I then bought one each 4' and 76" LOGRITE cant hooks. They are well worth the extra cost. the best part is not having to jab at the log to set the hook any more. They have a different geometry in the hook design, and they bite into the wood very well. The 76" LOGRITE is kinda like a 880 saw, real power when you need it, but you don't want to carry it very far.
Rick

How 'bout a barbell bar welded to a dumbbell bar in the shape of an L?

Lol yea they arent that heavy but i gurantee u will never ever break a handle and if u somehow break it stihl replaces it free other brands cant say the same

Finally, I took the suggestions of all my golfing pals and invested in a custom made set of golf clubs. I had this habit of breaking store bought clubs everywhere I golfed. (Even used to explode golf balls upon impact.) This local guy never had a single one of his hand made jobs returned broken. Consensus guaranteed they were the strongest clubs made, ever, anywhere, bar none.

The guy warrantied everything he built to last your lifetime. He got sick of seeing my sorry mug every other day for months, I promise you that. I smashed em to pieces in no time. I felt bad for the guy after a while and quit golf.

(Never hit a golf ball more than 200 yards straight, but I left some award winning modifications to beautiful fairways at no extra charge. Got kicked off a lot of courses, too.)

bought the biggest most highly recommended aluminum pevey, ( woodchuck brand / model ) manly men reviews went on and on about how these guys could not break it blah blah. Its heavy, it has a point so it does not bite securely into a log, and the hook is made of 1/2 thick aluminum so it does not bite so well. Quite the modern marvel, ugh.

So i ordered a wood handle short little cant hook, under 3'. Light, carry it anywhere stiff oak handle, traditional. Pointy hook digs in pronto, stubble on the end of the handle grabs every time. I roll 3' logs with it easy.

Freud would have a field day with this. My conclusion - small traditional wooden shorty cant hooks are sublime and those long handle peavey things are evil tools of the devil. Just saying...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL1528M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm gonna jerry-rig a barbell bar to something to make some kind of goofy peavy substitute. This should be interesting. Probably'll lift myself off the ground and fall with it pokin thru my rear-end, stomach, chest and out my neck. I can envision WW 3 leaving me in the woods like that with a smirk on her face.

Back