Pennies from heaven in the shape of an MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarylB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, Hello Arboristsite. It's been a while since I poked around but thought this story would be interesting. Having recently sold my MS660 as I got a divorce and needed some cash to pay bills - my dad is taking his daily walk down the road. He notices an MS460 air cover laying on the side of the road, no big deal. He walks a bit further on his regular walk - and finds the rest of the saw. The old man lives on the road that goes out to the county landfill. He calls me and I pickup the saw (this was back in the summer, I've just now got around to checking it out)

The saw looked awful. I said what the heck, it might go for parts. A little bit of castrol super clean and a few quarters man, this was a nice saw! The crank bearings/rod bearing were iffy, clutch assmebly was gone, no pull cord cover/clutch cover. All of the carb & plastic are there. Piston & jug are excellent. Tank handle looks spaknking new after the wash. I take it by my local dealer today, he runs the numbers. Was bought by a guy in 2006 so it's not even too old. He's telling me about $300 to split the case, bearings, rings, and reassemble the clutch side. I'm torn on whether to junk it or fix it. I'd really like to fix it and bring her back since she was on the way to the landfill. I'd love to post some pics but haven't acquired another camera as of yet.

edit: big parts I know I"ll need include the flywheel/pull cord assembly, the sprocket cover, and muffler.

Any suggestions? Free stuff/labor? *wink wink* (I'm divorced yo, she took me to the bank!)

Last edited:
If you know how to work on chainsaw then you could do the work yourself. You should be able to get the pull start/clutch cover and a few other things from site sponsor Baileys. You could get the bearing and those things from the local stihl dealer. Sounds like you will have a hell of a saw when your done. Later Steve

If you know how to work on chainsaw then you could do the work yourself. You should be able to get the pull start/clutch cover and a few other things from site sponsor Baileys. You could get the bearing and those things from the local stihl dealer. Sounds like you will have a hell of a saw when your done. Later Steve

Yep, now that you're divorced, you have plenty of time to work on saws...

Yep, now that you're divorced, you have plenty of time to work on saws...

Saws aren't my cup of tea. I'm better at tractors, trucks & computers. Not necessarily in that order :p. I can do some basic assembly and troubleshooting on one, but I don't have the specialized tools for bearing replacement nor do I want to get into the bottom end of a saw!

I had to read the title of this thread a couple times, LOL, all I seen was a P E N N I S and thought WTF P e n i s from heaven in the form of a MS460:cheers: Sorry I had to share... Damn pain pills:)

I had to read the title of this thread a couple times, LOL, all I seen was a P E N N I S and thought WTF P e n i s from heaven in the form of a MS460:cheers: Sorry I had to share... Damn pain pills:)

Dude, that must be some good ####...Can I have some?...LOL

gink595;1809276... Damn pain pills:)[/QUOTE said:
LOL - I felt that way last night with my Flu cough syrup. It's got hydrocodone in it. Not only did it taste great, but it gave me a pretty good drunk too with only 1tsp!

+1

Sorry to hear bout the ol lady cleanin you out.

I seen some 460 parts layin around at the saw shop, I just dont have anything to put them on. :(

But congrats on the saw

so it is possible to properly press out the rod bearing? the tech here didn't have a press and seemed kinda squeamish about it.

Well is your rod bearing truly toast? From your description, it doesn't sound like to me the guys you had looking at the saw were 100%. There's a lot of people working at dealerships that really don't know how to diagnose a big end rod bearing problem.

Well is your rod bearing truly toast? From your description, it doesn't sound like to me the guys you had looking at the saw were 100%. There's a lot of people working at dealerships that really don't know how to diagnose a big end rod bearing problem.

He recommended putting sea foam into the case and let it sit submerged for a while. it will move, but it's got a little "bump" in it (crank bearings). The rod bearing feels worse than the crank bearings but will still move without much effort. I poured some mix down into the crankcase after I washed it, filled it up good and turned it over.

The saw looked like it had motor oil in it for bar oil and was really greazy. The jug was highly carbonized but the rings were ok and the piston & jug were slick as glass.

Is it common to ruin the bottom end b4 the top end? I recently smoked a 660 but I melted the rings. Bottom end was fine. New Piston & rings voila! it was as good as new. This is the first saw I've seen with bearing issues.

I wouldn't be too worried about the main bearings, it's probably time to replace those anyways. Rod bearing would concern me, but the 460 cranks are pretty tough.

As far as longevity on top end vs. bottom end, that's strictly a matter of the operator and how good or how poor their maintenance program is.

I wouldn't be too worried about the main bearings, it's probably time to replace those anyways. Rod bearing would concern me, but the 460 cranks are pretty tough.

As far as longevity on top end vs. bottom end, that's strictly a matter of the operator and how good or how poor their maintenance program is.

So can the rod bearing be replaced or should I shop for another crankshaft?

So can the rod bearing be replaced or should I shop for another crankshaft?

The rod bearing isn't easily replaced but what I'm saying is that the crank you have now may not be junk. I've seen cranks salvaged from saws that sat a long time and/or got rusty go on to live long and productive lives...

The rod bearing isn't easily replaced but what I'm saying is that the crank you have now may not be junk. I've seen cranks salvaged from saws that sat a long time and/or got rusty go on to live long and productive lives...

I got a 066 from Bruce last winter that had tons of corrosion. I split the case and saved the crank as it was in what looked to be good shape. Bearing was tight and rolled smooth. Threw it in a project saw for a guy at work. Put in new stihl rings and all new seals. The saw was very nice. I ran a tank through it, perfect. The new owner ran it for a while and then it just popped. Rod bearing cage blew up and took out the piston. So I would be careful about using a crank that had been in a corrosive mess before. Might be worth the trouble or might not.

can you feel any play in the bottom end?

i have 3 044s and 440 now and all have good tight bottom ends and have been sitn around for a long time

the bump you feel might be the flywheel comeing around and hitting the magnet on the coil

Latest posts

Back