People that harvest wood late

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I know two people that wait to long harvest and split the wood for the winters use. One of them I know for a fact that he cuts the trees at the end of winter or beginning of spring and leaves them as rounds and then splits in the fall and burns. I also know he has the same exact stove as me which is a pacific energy summit and we all know how they do with wet wood.

The other guy literally waits till the middle or end of summer to cut and split and then he burns that wood that winter. I don’t know what so if he has but I know it’s an EPA stove.

How in the WORLD are these people getting any heat out of this!!!! And to add to it I know this cannot be safe and could lead to more creosote buildup. Both have been doing it for years and I am completely confused.

For example in the beginning of the summer I got one truck load of wood and I know for a fact the tree had been laying on the ground for a year and a half. It was at a local church and fell over in the storm. So that wood, a year and a half old, when cut and split it was still wet inside. Not a lot but it was. And all of it is still not ready. Just some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of variables involved in ready to burn wood, type, climate, location, storage, etc, in a perfect world at least a year maybe more for proper dryness

Sounds like me. Only after coming here did I learn most people aren’t like me. BTW I cut trees early June and just split a couple weeks ago. Cherry and soft maple. Been burning like this 12 years now. Hell I used to burn pine all winter for first 3 years after moving to the woods. The horror. Also if concerned about creosote I just clean out the pipes. Only had to during the burning season a couple times over the years.

Sounds like me. Only after coming here did I learn most people aren’t like me. BTW I cut trees early June and just split a couple weeks ago. Cherry and soft maple. Been burning like this 12 years now. Hell I used to burn pine all winter for first 3 years after moving to the woods. The horror. Also if concerned about creosote I just clean out the pipes. Only had to during the burning season a couple times over the years.

I have nothing against burning pine.

My neighbor has an OWB and doesn't have one stick of wood cut for this winter. He'll be out on the coldest, snowiest day of the year trying to make his firewood to last for a week. He did ask me last week if I knew of anyone selling loads of cull logs so he is thinking ahead only about 12 months late.

Depends a lot on the wood & the climate. We have a lot of dead standing wood that you could drop & split & burn the same day. Summers are hot & very dry, can cut up blow down trees in early spring, split them & let them sit till November. Burn fine, never had a creosote problem.

I was that guy last year. I was prepared i just dipped into my personal stack for sales. Not remotely worth it.

Cresote, smoke in the house, take forever to get a fire going, once it was finally going good you had to reload it and half smother it.

I'm not exaggerating, it had been so long since i burnt wet wood, i didn't realize how bad it is. My wife said never again.

As said a lot of variables wood type, area ,only sure way I 've found is check with moisture meter a decent 4 prong "jobbie'"not the chicom cheapie below 20% & the nearer you can get to 16% & your'e good to burn If you can get south of 16% burn it like you stole it

Knew A guy that did the same thing. Had his third house fire cause of the stove last winter. Ins. company said get rid of the stove or we drop you. He doesn't burn anymore, a blessing im sure.

Wow, what a slow learner. I don't understand people who do that. They must know that burning wet wood is no good, surely. Just pull the finger out, get a year ahead for JUST ONE YEAR, then continue on as you were so that each year your wet wood has one summer to dry out a bit. Some people are just stupid or lazy, I guess.

Around here, there is TONS of standing dead maple and oak in the 6"-10" range that's bone dry with no bark or branches. So for me, it's extremely easy to go out and cut as many loads as I want of ready to burn wood. Now that I finally have a proper woodshed as of the other week, I'm scrambling to fill it by winter so that's exactly what I'm doing . Next year I'll fill it before the snow is gone for good.

Because of some health issues this year I am behind on getting my wood ready. The last few weeks been bucking and splitting some locust logs that I cut two summers ago the wood is very wet. I am lucky I do have some wood stock piled so I probably won't have to burn any of this tell next spring. I hate burning wet wood as it takes too much of the wood's energy to burn it.

My neighbor does this, burns all he has every winter. So the most drying time it has is a few months. Goes through a lot of wood too! I'm not sure that my indoor stove would work very well with that wet of wood.

I have a neighbor not far from me who does something similar. Though he's got a small woodpile right now, he's usually out splitting his rounds this time of the year and through the winter. He's got a farm not but
15 miles away from which he gets most of his wood, if not locally or from his own lot, but I've never seen more than 1-1.5 cords stacked and it is almost always fully covered with a tarp all summer until he starts splitting his accumulated pile of rounds.

Not sure what kind of stove he's running, but there's always smoke billowing from the chimney when I look, and be burns constantly... As in him and his wife (who I think is stay at home mom). I'll leave for work at 0500 and get home around 1800 during the winter and almost always they are burning, and it's easy to tell. Not sure what they are doing any differently...

It drives me nuts too, I know a fella that is right now today 9/27/2018 dropping trees /any trees poplar red maple fir pine cedar gray birch white birch....so he can burn it this winter. Has done this for 40 years or more ( his dad did the same) the only thing I can think of is I believe he has a ancient brick chimney with a large flue and no liner. I actually know this for a fact.
The opening / flue is about a foot square leaving lots of room for creosote to build up. Every fall I am quit certain he will burn the 200 year old house to the ground during the up-coming winter but it never happens.
To get the wood to burn he stuffs the very old furnace with newspaper and kerosene and runs a propane torch through the draft door to keep a flame in there,... it is just too wet to burn on its own. Then he props the draft door open ( a 4"x 12" door) and lays a box fan on it's side to blow air on the fire. I have seen this and it boggles the mind to say the least.

Latest posts

Back