People that harvest wood late

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, we all know people like this, those last minute people.
They don't rotate they're tires, oil changes are neglected, run dull chainsaws, back deck is heavily faded and sagging, lawn is a foot high and mostly weeds,house has green mold growing on it because pressure washer was left outside all winter and busted.....yep, my best friend.

It drives me nuts too, I know a fella that is right now today 9/27/2018 dropping trees /any trees poplar red maple fir pine cedar gray birch white birch....so he can burn it this winter. Has done this for 40 years or more ( his dad did the same) the only thing I can think of is I believe he has a ancient brick chimney with a large flue and no liner. I actually know this for a fact.
The opening / flue is about a foot square leaving lots of room for creosote to build up. Every fall I am quit certain he will burn the 200 year old house to the ground during the up-coming winter but it never happens.
To get the wood to burn he stuffs the very old furnace with newspaper and kerosene and runs a propane torch through the draft door to keep a flame in there,... it is just too wet to burn on its own. Then he props the draft door open ( a 4"x 12" door) and lays a box fan on it's side to blow air on the fire. I have seen this and it boggles the mind to say the least.

If it's split, stacked, off the ground, in sun and a breeze. Poplar, cedar, and pine will dry out remarkably quick.

I like the 2 or 3 month oak people. 'its oak. It's oak.".

"I know, that's the problem. ". :)

If it's split, stacked, off the ground, in sun and a breeze. Poplar, cedar, and pine will dry out remarkably quick.

I like the 2 or 3 month oak people. 'its oak. It's oak.".

"I know, that's the problem. ". :)
just cut some oak today. should be ready to burn next week.:blob2: NOT!!!!!! :laughing::laughing:

Oh boy
7880a1e258177ae5997a2c130edf8141.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 cord of 2 year old Oak in my wood shed. I usually have 8-10 cord s/s/ and dry for a few friends and old customers. Because of this rain I don't have one stick for sale. My plan is cut a trailer load on Monday, split and stack it on Tuesday, then do my lawns on W/T/F. This spring I got the 2 cords moved from down back to the wood shed, and haven't had one day since to do wood. Only went Tuna fishing once. I might keep my lawns next year, but if it turns out anything like this year, that will be the last year mowing.

I have 2 cord of 2 year old Oak in my wood shed. I usually have 8-10 cord s/s/ and dry for a few friends and old customers. Because of this rain I don't have one stick for sale. My plan is cut a trailer load on Monday, split and stack it on Tuesday, then do my lawns on W/T/F. This spring I got the 2 cords moved from down back to the wood shed, and haven't had one day since to do wood. Only went Tuna fishing once. I might keep my lawns next year, but if it turns out anything like this year, that will be the last year mowing.
Forget all this chainsaw, wood cutting crap and do more tuna fishing. :cheers:

Good old Southern California. I cut some fir two weeks ago which was not green, but was wet so much that it squirted when splitting. Right now it is dry enough to burn. I am planning on delivering it to a camp group next week. That seems like speedy service.

This year has been rather mild rather the last 5 years have been mild. So wood sales have not been what they used to be. Knowing that winters come in cycles I am expecting this year to be more favorable than previous. So I cut 30 cords of dry Oak and 30 cords of Pine to have on hand along with supplying my regular customers with a year or two supply. And I still have 3 months of cutting time to go before winter is over. Or in other words being ready for the winter may not be such a great idea if we have too much more sunshine. If things look too sad I might have to get the ol tri hull out to go fishing because I might be broke. Fresh Yellow tail is a fav for me and my K 9 buddy. Thanks

This is some of this years fire wood skidded out of the low spot last week. I haven't taken a picture of what I skidded to the house 2 weeks ago waiting to be cut.

I have a little more to get before the fall rains start in again, it is a low area and holds water about 8 months of the year.. I will start blocking about the middle of Oct and start burning as soon as it is cold enought to fire up my England 28 3500 furnace.
I have deleted the extra work of stacking the wood after splitting it too. I just split it and bring a couple days supply in the house rest remains in the pile I dumped it in till needed.

I also clean my chimney after the last spring burn and maybe I will get around and do it again mid burn season if there is no snow and ice on the roof.

Before the EAB arrived I would start cutting Ash and Maple right after labor day split small enough I could handle the stuff. I was only useing half my pole barn then so would store it in the other half and it would be bone dry by Oct.

My self i don't worry about what others are burning or how long it has been cut. I worry about my own dam self and that is enough worry.

P.S. I change all my own oil from the truck, tractors several, wifes ride, Z turn that keep my grass cut at 3.5 inches along with other peoples, Sharpen the blades every week too, the splitter and snow blowers also.

I don't think we are lazy just know what works for us and keep our noses out of other peoples bussiness.

:D Al

If they cut in the winter and let it dry as rounds all summer it isn't green wood. Just because a person has the same stove does not mean it will react just like yours. His chimeny may draw a lot better and maybe a straight run with now curves. May have a bigger flue also. Wood he cuts may be a different species also. Lots of variables way I have seen.

Makes me giggle to see all the handleing some do with fire wood. If they had a life they wouldn't find it a reason to be stacking wood, moving stacks and restacking fallen down stacks. Probably would even loose that stupid moisture meter and enjoy some thing more than worring is my wood dry enough.

In the end it is their wood, their stove/furnace and there house too.

I don't think this thread was meant to attack the sensitive.
Burning seasoned wood is simply good practice and widespread common sense.....so I thought. Lol

If they cut in the winter and let it dry as rounds all summer it isn't green wood. Just because a person has the same stove does not mean it will react just like yours. His chimeny may draw a lot better and maybe a straight run with now curves. May have a bigger flue also. Wood he cuts may be a different species also. Lots of variables way I have seen.

Makes me giggle to see all the handleing some do with fire wood. If they had a life they wouldn't find it a reason to be stacking wood, moving stacks and restacking fallen down stacks. Probably would even loose that stupid moisture meter and enjoy some thing more than worring is my wood dry enough.

In the end it is their wood, their stove/furnace and there house too.

Other than the clouds o thick cresote laden smoke that pollutes the air others breathe. It's a real issue here, enough that the some areas are in threat of losing federal funding because of the smoke. (PM2.5 it's called)

Latest posts

Back