People that harvest wood late

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have a bunch of dead elms , a lot of 8-10 inchers with bark off that burn great right after cutting, I sometimes throw the bottom 4 foot on the pile for next year, but the rest is dry. I take a metal tote to the woods, fill it and put right in my garage. I cut the smaller branches too, works good for starting the fire ,since i let it burn out when its warmer during the day.

I wish I could get ahold of dry wood. We used to burn all same year on dead oak but lately all I can get is green stuff that might dry out in a year if split fine, it might not.

Been asking around for places to cut. I get all these offers to cut wood and all it is standing live boxelder in fencelines I need to cut for free and stack the brush really specifically, and they feel like they are doing me a favor. I'll do it for $20 an hour, I but seriously, I wasted fuel and a phone call and oxygen on this transaction.

I burn boxelder no problem. But I've got plenty of my own grown up in the fence, thanks...

I have next years all set and ready to be stacked when it dries out. Probably have enough split for two years now. Last year I just started piling it and than in the spring I stack it. Tried the greenhouse drying approach last year and I'm confident I can dry 6 cord in 2-3 months if it came down to it. Going to build a second one and hopefully dry 12 cord at one time. Basically have a two years worth completely dry at one time.

I’ve got most of next years wood split and stacked. Do y’all cover your wood? Do you leave uncovered in summer and cover in fall/winter? I have about 2 cord under roof, and about 5 out in the open. I’m working to keep space in between stacks for airflow and trying to get things dryer. My fire seems a lot better with dry wood, although my furnace can burn whatever I throw in.

I’ve got most of next years wood split and stacked. Do y’all cover your wood? Do you leave uncovered in summer and cover in fall/winter? I have about 2 cord under roof, and about 5 out in the open. I’m working to keep space in between stacks for airflow and trying to get things dryer. My fire seems a lot better with dry wood, although my furnace can burn whatever I throw in.
Let the summer sun do it’s thing

After last year I'm considering just covering the tops this summer, way too wet. During the winter I cover with some overlap on the end grain

Back