Perfect size wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay so what is the perfect legnth of wood for people to purchase? Ive been keeping mine between 14-18" isnt this the size most people use?

my JUCA fireplace insert takes up to 25in long wood, so 24in x 10-12in logs is perfect :D

LOL! Rule of thumb 'round here is about 2" shorter than the stove cavity, breathing room I figure. Smaller be fine (even small enough to burn it end-wise), but try stuffing a piece too big in at 4AM can be a dangerous lesson in frustration, smokey too. And oh, its gotta fit through the door as well. :D

16" is the best for wood for sale. That way when you stack it end to end X3 then 4' high X 8' you have legal cord of wood. Here in Ohio they have this as the standard for wood for sale. Anything over or under is not considered a cord.

Last edited:
CraneOp1 said:
16" is the best for wood for sale. That way when you stack it end to end X4 then 4' high X 8' you have legal cord of wood. Here in Ohio they have this as the standard for wood for sale. Anything over or under is not considered a cord.

wouldn't it be 16" stacked in threes then 4' high x 8' long?

my jotul will take 20" logs but i found that 16" is better to really stuff that thing full. i also sell all of my wood in 16" pieces. around here the norm for selling wood is 128 cubic feet per cord whether its in 20" pieces or 6" pieces. i sell alot of 6-10'' pieces to customers with smaller stoves. my opinion is as long as you are giving the customer a true 128 full cord or the 64 cu feet as the true 1/2 cord then your being an honest sales man.
-mike

1CallLandscape said:
my jotul will take 20" logs but i found that 16" is better to really stuff that thing full. i also sell all of my wood in 16" pieces. around here the norm for selling wood is 128 cubic feet per cord whether its in 20" pieces or 6" pieces. i sell alot of 6-10'' pieces to customers with smaller stoves. my opinion is as long as you are giving the customer a true 128 full cord or the 64 cu feet as the true 1/2 cord then your being an honest sales man.
-mike

Yep and also you will be in compliance with whatever weights and measures standards there are in your state. AFIK, they all define it as 128 cu ft, or as 4x4x8 (or both) and I don't think any of them have a specification as to the length of the stick.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back