Permatex motoseal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested it again today and no dice first thing I’m going to do is check for warped matings surface with a straight edge ( lower half of clam is plastic) they try yamabond
I’m tempted to try the permatex right stuff but it is not rated for gasoline which sucks because it works great it has never leaked on me
Last time I put a clamshell together I used permatex black.
I tested it again today and no dice first thing I’m going to do is check for warped matings surface with a straight edge ( lower half of clam is plastic) they try yamabond
I’m tempted to try the permatex right stuff but it is not rated for gasoline which sucks because it works great it has never leaked on me
last time I did a clamshell I used permatex ultra black. It’s actually what my buddy who works at the Stihl dealer recommended, and it worked just fine.

That Permatex 51813 in cured form is gasoline/oil resistant. The uncured sealant will wash out with gas, but that is limited to what little squeezed out from between the clamshell halves on the inside of the crankcase. Whatever squeezed out on the outside can be wiped off easily.

The Right Stuff is a gasket maker, but you're not looking for a gasket in this application. This compound is thicker (meant for larger gaps) and cures solid even when exposed to air. What squeezes out with this stuff will become a solid inside the engine that could cause problems for your saw later. You need a flange sealant (meant for thin gaps), which is exactly what the 51813 is designed for.

Permatex Technical Data said:
Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker is a single component, medium strength, thixotropic, anaerobic sealant that cures rapidly. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting aluminum surfaces. It provides a tough, resilient, solvent and temperature resistant seal that flexes with flange movement caused by vibration, pressurization or thermal changes.

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...nge-sealants/permatex-anaerobic-gasket-maker/

So the Yamaha dealer said they don’t have any and it is on backorder for months so I got the stihl dealer to order me a tube of dirko ht
FWIW and for future reference Dirko HT is not Stihl specific it is just what Stihl uses on their clamshells. As such it can be purchased lots of non-Stihl places online and maybe even locally depending on your location.

FWIW and for future reference Dirko HT is not Stihl specific it is just what Stihl uses on their clamshells. As such it can be purchased lots of non-Stihl places online and maybe even locally depending on your location.
True, but most NAPA-like stores around here would never stock it. For that matter, some Stihl dealers here don’t carry it for customer purchase. They may have a tube in the back.

My dealer once said that I am the only person to buy it in the last three years.

So this goop arrived and it doesn’t say dirko ht it says Pactan 6075. It says dirko ht on the stihl box is it same stuff? I can’t find the instructions anywhere not in English anyway

So this goop arrived and it doesn’t say dirko ht it says Pactan 6075. It says dirko ht on the stihl box is it same stuff? I can’t find the instructions anywhere not in English anyway
Unknown... Somebody pull a switcheroo? Has Stihl changed suppliers?

Good afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to contact STIHL Limited. At one time we were selling the Dirko brand sealant here in Canada, however our parent company in Germany changed over to the Pactan brand. We kept the name Dirko on our internal order slips here in Canada as most dealerships know what Dirko sealant is, however they may not know the Pactan brand. That is why we have not updated the name on our internal stickers, but it is essentially the same product, just a different brand.

I emailed stihl this was there response

With kind regards

Darrell Snelgrove

Customer Service Representative

Latest posts

Back