Pet Peeve, Gas cans. Let's fix it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big thumbs up for the link on e-bay to the vents and to the replacement spouts. Dad has 5 or so cans that I converted and he's loving it. No matter what style safety can I hate the dang things. Slow, PITA and make a mess. Give me the old style cans and pay attention to what you are doing. Problem solved. I have a half dozen of the old cans, 2 have teeny, tiny vents. Those were drilled out and the black ones installed. Much better flow now.

@Kevin in Ohio...here's a pic of the replacement spout kit. Made by EZ-POUR. This one is the HI-FLO Replacement Spout and Vent Kit. The yellow threaded cap pictured on the 5-gal kerosene can fits Midwest, Blitz, and Wedco cans. The black threaded cap to the left of the can is used with the 8" flexible spout for Rubbermaid, Gott and Essence, and Briggs cans. Beside the black threaded cap is an 8" flex extension that threads onto the existing flex, then the yellow end cap can be tethered to it if you need the extension. Both the 8" flex and the extension have 7/8" pour openings. I think I paid $6 or so apiece for them a couple of winters ago IIRC. One thing I did do when I installed the vent on the rear top, I moved the piloted/reamed hole 1" to the right of the jug seam for a better flush contact fit. I reamed the hole to .490 if I'm not mistaken and popped it in/sealed it at the very bottom with a light bead of sealant...probably didn't need the bead of sealant to be honest with you, since I slightly undersized the hole.

Hope this helps ya. If you can use these but can't find them, shoot me a PM, I'll pick them up locally and can send them to ya.
485b28d023a8cbbdf3855bdd2c2055f3.jpg

f3e10c8a7e1ef29c990f850f7561dc05.jpg

Thanks for the pics and info. I'll look around again but I may be in contact.

I kinda skimmed this thread but my understanding of the issue for newer style cans wasn't so much the spillage issue but the missing or un used vents and caps which caused evaporation and wasted fuel. No caps, no vents and the whole can of fuel goes bad, dirty spouts contaminating the fuel, what ever they dumped it in doesn't run, they dump it in a ditch, spray the edges of the driveway.... and then go out re fill it... still don't use the caps....

I do agree that the a lot of the safety cans were not made very well and too bad so many people just blindly bought them, cause that's all that was available. I have 1 safety can I use for saw fuel in my truck and it has a simple pull back on/off nozzle which is also the air inlet. Is it perfect, no, I have never put the nozzle away but it came with a cap for the end which has by some miracle is still around close to 7-8 years later. I wish I'd bought 5 - 8 of them. I'll try and get a pic of it later.

The rest are older style and I threaten death to any one who uses them to keep them clean and not F up the caps. So far so good.

I have the retrofit nozzles on all my safety cans and yeah they are okay at best. I'm telling you guys get yourself a vp can and don't look back!!

I took your advice and looked them up! they do look substantial. and a good solution for keeping fuels. Thanks... and to Kevin, too... interesting topic and as always... very well presented! and so: Thanks, too! :)

I'm all for using and saving what you already have. Kevin came up with great solution to do just that! Only reason I keep on the broken record is they really are better than anything else I've found. One thing I forgot to mention is you can buy as many cans as you want with only one spout. Every can is tapped and plugged in the cap, so all you have to do is unscrew the spout and use it one the next full can. If you choose to get a spout with every can the come with a cap to keep air out and a screen built in to filter the gas from larger objects getting through.

Something to consider for those spouts that are missing caps it galvanized pipe caps. Find the size that fits and screw it on. It will cut it's own threadsis plastic. After a few uses you can switch to a PVC pipe cap.

Excellent reminder on the VP gas cans. I just ordered some from Amazon.
I had one that came from somewhere, and it was real nice! but old, and finally cracked... :(

For years I have brazed washers to 3/4" pieces of tubing and used hunks of hose making them atleast tolerable.

I have the no spill cans that C5rulz showed in the video and they work better then the old vented cans, but they are pricey.

Excellent reminder on the VP gas cans. I just ordered some from Amazon.
I had one that came from somewhere, and it was real nice! but old, and finally cracked... :( For years I have brazed washers to 3/4" pieces of tubing and used hunks of hose making them atleast tolerable.

>and finally cracked... :(

well, that seems to be the case, huh. I have had the caps crack too, 2 or 3, and the cans were kept inside, secure, etc. in town and out on the farm! so, I decided to keep them snug and such, but not under tight tension to the heat down here in summer... and etc. even if I loose some hydros top end first week or so. imo, nbd. this fuel can thread interesting... always something to learn on the AS, well... so it seems. :)

Latest posts

Back