Pet Peeve, Gas cans. Let's fix it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just ordered the vents from the ebay. Thanks for the link Kevin. I usually just use a pan head self tapper that I screwed in and can hand tighten/loosen for vent. Will try working the nozzels next.

Well, just ordered the vents from the ebay. Thanks for the link Kevin. I usually just use a pan head self tapper that I screwed in and can hand tighten/loosen for vent. Will try working the nozzels next.

if you have time, maybe show us them installed... I am thinking of getting a packet, too... :)

I use the flexible replacement spouts also. I also use a tire valve as the vent. Just have to fish it thru the can with a piece of wire then attach a valve tool on the tire valve pull it thru the 1/2" hole drilled for the vent hole.

Works great.

There's a youtube video showing how to do this

I've been using the wheel valve stems for years no. Pretty easy fix and they are readily available in town.

@Kevin in Ohio...here's a pic of the replacement spout kit. Made by EZ-POUR. This one is the HI-FLO Replacement Spout and Vent Kit. The yellow threaded cap pictured on the 5-gal kerosene can fits Midwest, Blitz, and Wedco cans. The black threaded cap to the left of the can is used with the 8" flexible spout for Rubbermaid, Gott and Essence, and Briggs cans. Beside the black threaded cap is an 8" flex extension that threads onto the existing flex, then the yellow end cap can be tethered to it if you need the extension. Both the 8" flex and the extension have 7/8" pour openings. I think I paid $6 or so apiece for them a couple of winters ago IIRC. One thing I did do when I installed the vent on the rear top, I moved the piloted/reamed hole 1" to the right of the jug seam for a better flush contact fit. I reamed the hole to .490 if I'm not mistaken and popped it in/sealed it at the very bottom with a light bead of sealant...probably didn't need the bead of sealant to be honest with you, since I slightly undersized the hole.

Hope this helps ya. If you can use these but can't find them, shoot me a PM, I'll pick them up locally and can send them to ya.
485b28d023a8cbbdf3855bdd2c2055f3.jpg

f3e10c8a7e1ef29c990f850f7561dc05.jpg
Repped!
Do not buy this spout if you are from one of the noted, "ban states." The sellers can not ship.
Due to (CARB) California Air Resources Board regulations, this product is banned for sale in the following states: CA, CT, DC, DE, MA, ME, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, and VA.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Item #231238737410
On the bay, a water spout, has worked for fuel cans in the "ban states."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I switched to VP race fuel cans. None of the environmental bs to deal with

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

I get as many cans like this from my work as I want...upload_2016-2-7_20-30-48.png
the ones I get are vented though, and they work great, they are also much stronger than regular fuel cans, especially on the top and bottom...they really can take a beating. I usually use a funnel unless the fuel tank had a large spout...
I also have some 5 gallon mobile oil pails with vents that I use for diesel...the fuel cans sold in stores these days are complete garbage if you ask me!

If you pulled out a non fuel rated can's around here they won't fill it or shut off the pump if your at a self serve.

Here's the nozzle I use for saw fuel, it's made by Scepter

0207161617a.jpg

0207161617b.jpg

Pull the collar back and the fuel comes out, let it go and it shuts extremely quickly so I love it for filling saw tanks and fits any standard Jerry can.

We in OZ have to deal with the POS-PITA-CAN too, and they are really annoying. They promote spilling and are near useless using them to fill car tanks or anything that takes quite a bit of fuel. I think Kevin has done a top write up and solution to this problem. I have many PITA-POS cans and would love too turn them into useful cans and save them from landfill. AS needs more threads like this that are interesting, informative & innovative. Well done Kevin from Ohio!!

I buy the metal cans! They don't have any of this crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those ez pour replacement kits that come with a new spout and breather can be found at TSC and Home Depot for those that are looking to fix their new style cans.

I found the old style square Sears can at my local restore for $3 and it still had the flippy caps attached to both ends.

20160118_174947_zpsgysq125t.jpg

Latest posts

Back