Philbert's Low Tech Filing Vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Philbert’s Low Tech Filing Vise

Background

(*NOTE: several original links to this thread were lost. I have tried to replace some of the information)

I got interested in a filing vise from threads like these:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-new-saw-chain-vise.120500/#post-1935099
(*updated link to Heimannm's thread - links to most photos in that thread, however, are missing)

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hand-filiing-chain-holder.208140/

Unable to find one, I started ‘collecting’ photos of vises made by A.S. members, and adding or linking them to the first thread, to keep them ‘all in the same place’.
I finally came up with something that I could build, but got distracted, until a recent thread on CNC crafted vises inspired me to finish my low-tech version:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/i-made-some-chain-vises.240935/

(*updated link to Homelite410's thread on his CNC manufactured vises)

Concept

Most guys file right on their saw. But chains can wobble in the bar groove. If the cutter is held solid, all of the filing effort is directed into the cut; there is less chatter; and it is easier to precisely control the file position, angles, etc.

You also don’t have to bring the saw into the shop, don’t need a specific guide bar, and the power head can’t get in the way.

Philbert

Last edited:
Design

I mostly have woodworking tools, so it had to be pretty simple to make.

This vise is 11 inches, end-to-end, so that my smallest chain loop (for a 10 inch pole pruner) will fit. I was planning on a second, longer vise to clamp lots of cutters, but will see how this one works.

The machine screws were intended to perform two functions: 1) to keep the top edges aligned when the cam-locks are opened; and, 2) to hold spacer washers to keep clamping pressure focused on the drive links at the top.

As a bonus, it came out to be pretty cheap: made mostly from scrounged materials. If I had to buy everything new, I think that the materials would still be under $20.

Philbert

Last edited:
photo 3v.jpg photo 5v.jpg photo 6v.jpg photo 10v.jpg Construction

This vise was built with: a hacksaw, a drill press, a bench grinder, and a thread tap. If you have access to other metalworking equipment you could probably knock one out pretty quickly.

(*see thumbnails)

Materials:

• 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 1/8 inch angle iron (cut from an old bed frame);
• 1-1/4 x 1/8 inch flat iron (hardware store);
• cam-lock bolts (scavenged from seat posts of cheap mountain bikes);
• spacers, small machine screws, mounting bolts, nuts, and washers;
• mounting board (scrap from neighbor’s remodel job);
• spray paint (free from hazardous waste recycling center).

I had the seat post bolts in a pile of old bike parts, and used spacers so that I did not have to cut down and re-thread the bolts. You could also use quick-release wheel skewers from bikes. Or purchase cam levers from a supply catalog. Or use carriage bolts and wing nuts.

I cut the iron to length, and roughed out the end radiuses with a hacksaw, then held the pieces together with double-stick carpet tape to align and drill pilot and finished holes.

Bolt the two halves of the vise tightly together to file or grind the end radiuses smooth, flat, and even. Take everything apart, clean it up, spray paint it, and bolt it to a mounting board. Clamping the board in a bench vise allows me a few inches of height adjustment. Other mounting options are possible.

Philbert

Last edited:
Looks good this would work for me since i run a few stokes even on brand new chain and this would make it easier to do right out of the box instead of putting the chains on a bar just to sharpen.

Last edited:
looks great!

I really like how it might allow you to file several cutters without having to advance the chain. I guess you can also turn the chain around to get to the other cutters. Nice work...have some rep!

guess I am a tight wad,,, plus I am not a machinist,,,, I take my bench vice and clamp a 14" bar from a poulan in it,, works good for me

guess I am a tight wad,,, plus I am not a machinist,,,, I take my bench vice and clamp a 14" bar from a poulan in it,, works good for me

Why take it off the saw in the first place?

When I take the chain off my junk - no cutters are left and the next stop is the bin.

This method is for the folks that don't like chain wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.... you get the point

Safety chain? WTF?
:hmm3grin2orange:

Background

attachment.php

That looks great !!
Easy to make and inexpensive.

Are you going to mount it or keep it portable ?

When I take the chain off my junk - no cutters are left and the next stop is the bin.

This method is for the folks that don't like chain wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.... you get the point

I take several loops to where I cut, and bring the dull ones back to be sharpened. Saves time in the woods or on site.
This would be a great thing to have if you have loops that you want hand filed, especially if you are hand filing it square !!

I take several loops to where I cut, and bring the dull ones back to be sharpened. Saves time in the woods or on site.
This would be a great thing to have if you have loops that you want hand filed, especially if you are hand filing it square !!

beat me to it,,, thanks,, saved me a lot of typing:D:D

The beauty of the cam tightened vice is to grip the drive link so the cutter/drag links are solid and do not rotate off of 90 degrees while you file. I was given an old saw blade sharpening vise and I had hoped I could modify it to use for sharpening chainsaw chains but have not come up with a solution as it would need serious modification(machining). I also did not really wish to destroy that old saw vice. Probably as old as I am and some collector some day may want it. Philbert's design is a low cost solution. As he posted other links to the subject you can see manufactured vices can cost a few bucks. Not saying they are not worth it, just saying this design seems to solve the necessary issues without high cost and you do not have to be a machinist. Simple hand tools, patience and the motivation. You certainly can file a chain while it is on the saw bar but it certainly stands to reason you would get more consistent results with a vise. Besides, for some of us, if we are not tinkering with stuff, looking for a better way, we might as well curl up and die.:)

I sharpen new chain before it even gets used so this would make it easier to do.

Back