Physically a blue smoking saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I purchased last year an older husky 240S the PO said it had compression and spark but won’t run.
He said it has 200# compression but I think he hinted he put oil in the cylinder. I checked the piston pulling the muffler it looks great. We cleaned the carb. Now it fired up on the 4th pull sounds awesome but won’t stop blowing blue two stroke smoke? I let it idle Hardley any smoke but reving it up I’m smoking my yard up plus the area around me. I wonder if the center case gasket is leaking the bar oil? The oil he put in the motor should clear out. Confused? What to you say?

The crankcase is probably swimming in oil.
Guessing you are still on your first tank and the smoke has not cleared? See what it is like after 4 or 5 tanks of fuel.
If you suspect bar oil, empty the oil tank, flush it out, remove the chain and run the saw till the clouds stop, if it cleans up, put the chain back on, fill up the oil tank and run it- see if the smog comes back.

We just put the husky 50:1 pre mix to fire up to see if she runs. It sounds awesome. We only ran it a few minutes. This is the 70’s 240S with the all metal crankcase, but it has points. I found two more I have in boxes yet.

Mine usually smokes for 10 mins at least if the crank case has a bunch of 2 stroke oil in it. Let it run, rev it a little, it will clear up.

I’ll try running it again. I found the gasket, bearing, seal kit on eBay cheap.
Hearing this one run brings back memories of the first 240sg I purchased around 1980. That’s 40 years ago. Time flys.

Back