Picco chain on an MS251

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is 3/8 picco or .325. with an Oregon drum 1/4 pitch is also a choice.

The picco will be less dangerous, remove less kerf hence quicker in most circumstances, and lighter bar and chain. I would say the picco rim drive, then .325 NK, normal .325, last 1/4 of what experimented with. You can also get a 6 tooth spur sprocket in picco so lower gearing and smaller cutters than possible with .325.

It is 3/8 picco or .325. with an Oregon drum 1/4 pitch is also a choice.

The picco will be less dangerous, remove less kerf hence quicker in most circumstances, and lighter bar and chain. I would say the picco rim drive, then .325 NK, normal .325, last 1/4 of what experimented with. You can also get a 6 tooth spur sprocket in picco so lower gearing and smaller cutters than possible with .325.
Well covered.........

I run my ported 025 with Oregon 91VXL and a GB 14" Bar. It makes for a light and unexpectedly quick trail/trim saw.

I won't even run 3/8 on my 026 or 028S, they run 0.325"

3/8 picco is a good choice for ms251. Narrow kerf and uses less power in the cut. Stihl has it in yellow non-safety in semi- and full-chisel

I've got an MS250 I'd like to try 3/8LP on. What did you do for a drum and sprocket/rim?

Looked again, its number 11 on that IPL. I'll have to get a bar and try it out. Thanks again.
I like the 3/8 picco on my 250. I personally think .325 is just a little bit much. I gave an old bar and sprocket to @James Miller for his and he likes the difference.

I run .325" pitch semi-chisel with a 7-tooth sprocket to drive my Stihl MS251C, usually with either a 16"or 18" bar. The saw loves that. That's also what I use and recommend for the Stihl 025 and 026. I thus fear that I have to disagree with Farmer Steve on this one, and we seldom disagree.
Have you ever tried the picco setup on there. It makes a little saw perform like a much larger saw, and it will even improve the cut times of your 025 and 026. There are some disadvantages such as less tooth(shorter) so the chains don't last as long and some places have a better selection of 325.
I personally like 3/8 picco or lp on the small saws much better than 325, too bad I have so much 325 chain and it just keeps coming.

Back