Picked up a Lopi Freedom today, have questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up a Craigslist score this morning. I got a rough Lopi Freedom along with a rigid chimney liner and cap for FREE.

The flue wasn't sealed well and leaked. The stove has rust and most of the firebricks are missing. The bypass on top isn't connected to anything so I am assuming there is a part missing there. The cord is cut and the fan speed control is missing. Other than that it's great and did I mention it was FREE?

Anyway, do any Lopi Freedom owners mind measuring the cut bricks in their stove? I want to restore this stove and install it in our family room in the back of the house. We have a long, narrow house with the living room in the front and a family rom in the back. There is a fire place in the family room wth no stove. It gets cold in there because it is so far from the stove in the front of the house. I am going to put this insert in the fireplace do we can use the room in the winter.

I have an Avalon Rainer in the front of the house. It gets it nice and warm in here. I'm looking forward to getting the Lopi fixed and installed.

Thanks,

Bob

I have a Quadra Fire Grand Voyageur downstairs and am looking into a Blaze King Princess for upstairs for next winter, so unfortunately I can't help with your specific questions, but wanted to congratulate you on your score!

Update on the stove. I went outside today to take a closer look at it.

This is how it came off the truck:

20170326_165359_zpsjebzqwxe.jpg

Inside:

20170326_165419_zpsyxgc1nrp.jpg

Missing bypass:

20170326_165405_zpsxpml6fne.jpg

This stove was neglected and beat up. The firebrick was cracked and it was rusty from the leaking flue cap. The air damper at the bottom is rusted and won't move. I thought I would clean it up and see what I have. I scooped up at much ash as I could then I opened the door and blew it out through the top exhaust with a leaf blower. I also blew out the passages between the firebox and outside metal. Tons of dust and debris came out. This is what I have:

Cleaned up:

Then I looked inside and found the cracks:

20170326_171427_zpsg6hg1awg.jpg

20170326_171438_zps0ode2mcm.jpg

20170326_171446_zpsjrszgr0n.jpg

This was a discouraging find. Has anyone had success welding cracks like this or welding in repair plates? I would like to save this stove if I can. Please share your experience with this type of problem.

Also has anyone freed up a rusted air damper on a Lopi stove? Can you take the stove apart to get to the damper mechanism?

Thanks,

Bob

Dang!!!! We have a two year old Lopi Freedom.
What on earth did the previous owner do to that stove???

We love ours. It heats our 1600 sq.ft. home with ease.

David

I can't help with the cracks but he fire brick I have gotten from ace hardware have held up fine. I found the best way to cut them was with a wet tile saw just fill the tray with water , and go slow the dimond blade does a nice job of cutting , but because the guard over the top can't be on with fire brick as they are too thick it sprays water your going to get wet. but when the price of a box of fire brick from ace was 1/4 or less what they store wanted for them pre cut from the stove place wet is a small price to pay.

Those people trashed this stove. The cap wasn't nstalled on the chimney correctly and rain got in. I think they over fired the stove because the angle iron that holds the upper bricks is warped.

There was a pile of ash with a bunch of cigarette buts inside and creosote everywhere. Once I got it cleaned out I saw the cracks.

It's hard to see something nice like this trashed and beat. If I can weld the cracks shut I think I can restore it.

Pete, thanks for the tip on Ace. I plan on calling there tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back