Picked up a Stihl 038 mag today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went to an auction today and ended up with the 038. Got her home, dumped old gas out put new in gas no go. Pulled the plug had good spark so put shot of gas in cylinder fired right up. Came with like new 20" bar and low kick chain. Got it for $220.00. Dont really need it but can share duties with my Echo 500.

Awesome!!!

I'd love to have an 038 Mag. II myself. Used one once, tons of torque.

I live near Green Springs which just south of Fremont. Get my auction info from local papers and from Ag. related news papers. Doing farm work has somewhat flexible hours so I go to quite a few auctions. You never know what you will find at an auction. Bought a Disston DA211 for $20.00 at one sale it even ran.

I have an 038 Mag that hasnt cut wood yet.
Hanniedog, my girlfriend lives in Curtice north of Genoa, south of Rt 2...Rick

An 038 Mag is most likely one of the better saws Stihl ever made.

Ha,you just never know what you may find at an Ohio farm auction.More times than not there will be a chainsaw or two that goes cheap .Usually nothing wrong with it other than it failed to start once too often in the past.
You just have to be in the right place at the right time .

Growing up in a farming area I know how farmers think.Pay day with all that crop money is in the fall just before wood cutting time.The old saw misbehaves,off to the saw store in the pick-em-up truck for a new one.

Al you are right you just never know what gems can be found at an auction. Quite often people bid dern near what you could go buy new and get a warranty. This sale also had a John Deere 80 in nice shape that brought around $50.00. Nice saw but parts are a problem.

Back