picked up a used Quadrafire Isle Royale 2004 model for 425.00 - I need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimsbrain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, It's me again......I'll try to be coherent this time ok?

I just drove to Buffalo NY to pick up a quad Isle royale. It was cheap so I asked a lot of questions (like 100 or so ) and was on the phone for 45 minutes before I decided to go and get it. I'm going to install it in a friends 2300 sq ft uninsulated farmhouse with 6" class a stainless chimney. yep straight up and out....no offsets no 90 degree bends just straight up.

I've been reading some old posts and I'm a bit nervous about the 9 year age of the stove even though it looks amazing. Even the glass is good and I think it's original like the owner claims.....the fire brick is toast and I believe it may be original too! So this guy burned it on "low" He says for 5 months straight each year. Never cranked it up. And by looking at it I believe him. I have to get the fire brick retaining angle iron replaced in the back...and I think she's ready to go.!!!!! Hard to believe but even the door and top load gaskets look ok. I will look it over better when all the bricks are out.

I'm asking for advice on what might go wrong here.........old stove.....6 inch class a chimney......what should I be on the lookout for.

I especially want to hear from anyone with an IR!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm being really gentle with this stove...... I want it to work just like it did for the previous owner!!

Look forward to hearing from anyone. p.s. I will need to change the baffle.....It is toast....and It may be original too:dizzy:

JIM

6 inch chimney is perfect for it. As for the damage stated, he ran it more than on low. May not have been the best deal, but still a good stove that should do your freind well.

Congrats! It's a nice looking stove. Running stoves on low is not necessarily a good thing. Neither do you want to burn it so it turns red.

If you replace bricks and baffle, you're good to go and dont have to baby it.

Congrats! It's a nice looking stove. Running stoves on low is not necessarily a good thing. Neither do you want to burn it so it turns red.

If you replace bricks and baffle, you're good to go and dont have to baby it.

ok, Im sure he ran it in a range of temperatures what I meant was he seemed to have taken care not to over-fire the stove. The stove was in good shape with the exception of the brick retainer and the baffle. I guess I'll either order a new retainer or have one made and welded in.

I was also wondering if the older non welded stoves were sealed with furnace cement and did that need replacement every so often?

That is why I'm babying this stove bcause I don't want to disturb any old furnace cement.

JR

I have one of these stoves and they are great. Most of the parts for it have a lifetime warranty, but not the bricks. I bought mine in 2004 and have only had to replace a couple of bricks and the retainer.

I have one of these stoves and they are great. Most of the parts for it have a lifetime warranty, but not the bricks. I bought mine in 2004 and have only had to replace a couple of bricks and the retainer.

Trucky, Thanks for the reply! I'm looking for anyone with this stove to tell me how they like it. Did you get the brick retainer from Quadrafire??

I've been burning my Quad 3100i for 9+ years now and haven't really had any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to Isle Royal at full burn as long as you give it a good inspection.

Yup. Just went back to the dealer and gave them the old one. They ordered me a new one. It took about a week. I also replaced the fiber material that is part of the baffle at the top of the fire box. Also covered under warranty. I have been heating about 2200 sq. ft. With mine no problem. Looks nice too. I have the screen that fits inside the door so you you can use it like a fireplace. That is real nice when you just need to take the chill off in the early fall.

I had one it was a very nice stove. The top load is pretty neat but not made for filling the stove. I gave it back under warranty due to an air leak at one of the joints. I got the Quad 5700 as the replacement and I love it. The Isle Royale and the 5700 both have an awesome secondary fire show through the nice big glass.

I had one it was a very nice stove. The top load is pretty neat but not made for filling the stove. I gave it back under warranty due to an air leak at one of the joints. I got the Quad 5700 as the replacement and I love it. The Isle Royale and the 5700 both have an awesome secondary fire show through the nice big glass.

I read you posts from two years or so ago. It sounded horrible and makes me nervous about this stove. For 425.00 Im gonna go ahead and install it for my friend. I burn a 4100i ...ive hadthe quad for 5 years now and love it.:rock:

Jim

I read you posts from two years or so ago. It sounded horrible and makes me nervous about this stove. For 425.00 Im gonna go ahead and install it for my friend. I burn a 4100i ...ive hadthe quad for 5 years now and love it.:rock:

Jim

Well the Isle Royals I had was a hot burning machine and I went through a lot to get a new one. The final nail in the coffin was a picture I sent to quadrafire of a candle flame being sucked into the leaking joint. I loved the stove but I had a bad taste about glued together cast iron stoves. I feel much better with my fully welded heavy 5700

Hello all, It's me again......I'll try to be coherent this time ok?

I just drove to Buffalo NY to pick up a quad Isle royale. It was cheap so I asked a lot of questions (like 100 or so ) and was on the phone for 45 minutes before I decided to go and get it. I'm going to install it in a friends 2300 sq ft uninsulated farmhouse with 6" class a stainless chimney. yep straight up and out....no offsets no 90 degree bends just straight up.

I've been reading some old posts and I'm a bit nervous about the 9 year age of the stove even though it looks amazing. Even the glass is good and I think it's original like the owner claims.....the fire brick is toast and I believe it may be original too! So this guy burned it on "low" He says for 5 months straight each year. Never cranked it up. And by looking at it I believe him. I have to get the fire brick retaining angle iron replaced in the back...and I think she's ready to go.!!!!! Hard to believe but even the door and top load gaskets look ok. I will look it over better when all the bricks are out.

I'm asking for advice on what might go wrong here.........old stove.....6 inch class a chimney......what should I be on the lookout for.

I especially want to hear from anyone with an IR!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm being really gentle with this stove...... I want it to work just like it did for the previous owner!!

Look forward to hearing from anyone. p.s. I will need to change the baffle.....It is toast....and It may be original too:dizzy:

JIM
I bought our IT in 2010 after weeks of research. We just replaced back fire bricks only yesterday. I am securing the brick retainer because ours is a bit warped. We have totally heated our 2000 sq ft home with this with ceiling fans. We put second set of seals on this this year as well. First seals I replaced were cheap Tractor Supply black rope so this time I found the original white seals it had and went a size up and have a far better seal with this (Amazon). It takes a couple of years learning the stove and how to fire it but we’re believers in this model. So in ten years we’ve spent $150 total to update parts. Cheap!

Back