Picking a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, without any other markings other than the ms460 on the top cover I wasn't sure what it was. Figured if I uploaded the pics you guys would know right away. I've looked at the kit saws and complete huztl saws but with Canadian currency, shipping and duty it puts it more than I want to spend.

There are a couple old 266's (1se/1sg) I've seen around that really push my budget but if I absolutely can't find something I may stretch up to that. Still not as big as I'd like but budget dictates
Don't you have those ex rental 6401 Makita's over there?

Just came across a 371xp within the budget, said it was just tuned up and works great. So messaged the guy, hopefully fast enough.

It says it needs a chain, plan on putting a bar and chain on anyway so thoughts on the bar? Thinking I'll try to find a 32" bar to get the full use of the 24" mill, again budget dictates. Anywhere online to find screaming deals on bars/chains or just hit used/junk market?

Just came across a 371xp within the budget, said it was just tuned up and works great. So messaged the guy, hopefully fast enough.

It says it needs a chain, plan on putting a bar and chain on anyway so thoughts on the bar? Thinking I'll try to find a 32" bar to get the full use of the 24" mill, again budget dictates. Anywhere online to find screaming deals on bars/chains or just hit used/junk market?
Amazon warehouse gets a bunch of returns/box damaged bars, sometimes you can find a 36" bar for 45.00 if your patient. D009 mount is the one your looking for.

Going to pick it up tonight. Guy claims he just had a bunch of work done to it and it runs great. Not sure what it has on it for a bar right now so might just put a chain on it and run it as is until a good deal comes along for a bigger bar. Figure if nothing else it'll be a great junking saw

I mill up to 26 inches with a granberg and a 460 magnum. I run the fuel at 40:1 with a good oil. I run stihl ripping chain with a 10 degree angle. Currently I only mill dead hardwood, and it handles it fine. If you can’t get the logs off the ground make sure you check the air filter frequently as milling close to the ground with my setup the air filter collects a lot of chips and dust, and I frequently have to shovel excess away to help mitigate the issue. The exhaust seems to blow it off the ground so the air filter can pick it up.

Not sure why they decided to paint the top cover black (going to see if I can strip it this weekend) but otherwise seems like a decent saw. Just got home with it, going to run it a bit when I get home from work tomorrow but the little I was able to see when picking it up, seems to run good.

He had a chunk of wood there to sink the bar in and it pulled strong and quick through. The it runs a tree care/cutting business, he was hard up to pay a truck repair so I got it for $200, seems like a good deal compared to what I've seen around.

IMG_20210419_235914456.jpg

IMG_20210419_235906439.jpg

IMG_20210419_214312761.jpg

The Father of a guy I went to High School with owned a couple rides in a Carnival Company. He spray painted all of his tools Hot Pink, top to bottom, left, right, front, back, inside and out. If he lent a tool, it was SURE to be returned.

For some reason, nobody ever commented to BIG Jim Hall, about the color of his tools

Doug

Back