Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickled Veggies

Discussion in 'Cooking and Recipe Forum' started by sonny580, Jan 12, 2018.

1. sonny580

sonny580 ArboristSite Lurker

Have any of you made pickled veggies? We do beets, cauliflower, cucumbers, baby green beans, and this year tried a couple quarts of sweet corn.
    Would like to hear what you have done!
    I have just joined this fine site and this being my first post,--I am a little nervous!!! LOL!!!---Thanks; sonny580

Ash_403 and svk like this.
  2. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

Welcome aboard! I quit making canned pickles a couple years ago, I just got tired of sterilizing jars and working over the boiling water bath. Plus, I just never have spare time during the veggie season (I'm a produce grower for my primary income). We make sauerkraut and other brined pickles though. I love making them. Some salt, garlic, dill and peppercorns and you're ready to roll. I made a 10 gallon crock of cucumber pickles in about an hour this summer. Still eating them. They're super crunchy.

svk likes this.
  3. Ash_403

Ash_403 Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

I've pickled red beets many years. They always turn out great.

Last year I pickled okra. The first batch was not the best though. We canned it with a pressure cooker instead of the water bath. What this did was cook the okra too long. Soggy, and a little slimy, but still edible.
    The second batch (about 2 weeks later), we used the water bath. The final result is the crunchy okra, and no slime, as intended.

I've never thought of pickling green beans...

svk likes this.
  4. sonny580

sonny580 ArboristSite Lurker

For pickling green beans, we pick the smaller diameter ones, ( never tried the regular size). We make a few pints of them each year. We also do kraut and a few dills.
    The pickled veggies are a change of pace kinda thing!---something different during the winter. thanks; sonny580

olyman, Ash_403 and svk like this.