Picnic table

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Vogus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Don’t think it will be ready for Christmas but this is a piece I am making for my girlfriend. It will get flattened sanded and epoxied like a bar top. The wood all came from property that has been her mom and dads since 1971. She inherited it 23 years ago. No body ever did anything with it. Till this passed summer I put a driveway and clearing in. She was able to park her motor home on her property. Hope to build her a cabin this summer. Merry Christmas all. And if that offended anyone too bad. Get over it.

Attachments

• 0E31CF7A-4D68-46A8-9609-4BB7A4E2B305.jpeg
    0E31CF7A-4D68-46A8-9609-4BB7A4E2B305.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • 00399ACF-DBFE-4671-A040-38A88163C9B9.jpeg
    00399ACF-DBFE-4671-A040-38A88163C9B9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • E59A48E2-073B-4406-AD0E-740A19DCD509.jpeg
    E59A48E2-073B-4406-AD0E-740A19DCD509.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
  • D07FF1C2-E608-4686-A568-8808EFE04FF1.jpeg
    D07FF1C2-E608-4686-A568-8808EFE04FF1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
Real nice table you're making. I'm sure your GF will like it, especially with the wood being from her family's property, and hand milled by you.

PS - Very good job on that chainsaw mill you fabricated.
I never done any chainsaw milling, but it looks like it works pretty slick.

Real nice table you're making. I'm sure your GF will like it, especially with the wood being from her family's property, and hand milled by you.

PS - Very good job on that chainsaw mill you fabricated.
I never done any chainsaw milling, but it looks like it works pretty slick.
Thank you.

Don’t think it will be ready for Christmas but this is a piece I am making for my girlfriend. It will get flattened sanded and epoxied like a bar top. The wood all came from property that has been her mom and dads since 1971. She inherited it 23 years ago. No body ever did anything with it. Till this passed summer I put a driveway and clearing in. She was able to park her motor home on her property. Hope to build her a cabin this summer. Merry Christmas all. And if that offended anyone too bad. Get over it.
I’ve made and sold a few of these, they bring good money for not a whole lot of work. A buddy and me can take customer supplied slabs and have a completed table in under 4 hrs, we get $400. If we supply the wood,we get $900. They’re fun projects!

I’ve made and sold a few of these, they bring good money for not a whole lot of work. A buddy and me can take customer supplied slabs and have a completed table in under 4 hrs, we get $400. If we supply the wood,we get $900. They’re fun projects!
This is my first. Not making them for people. Except as gifts. Might make more and if someone wants it I would sell it but don’t what to be on someone else’s time. Then it seems like Work. Would like to keep it fun.

This is my first. Not making them for people. Except as gifts. Might make more and if someone wants it I would sell it but don’t what to be on someone else’s time. Then it seems like Work. Would like to keep it fun.
Not a thing wrong with that, I’m retired from construction, it’s kind of a hobby for me too.:cool: The live edges are what people are looking for, and pay good money for.

Not a thing wrong with that, I’m retired from construction, it’s kind of a hobby for me too.:cool: The live edges are what people are looking for, and pay good money for.
I’m new to the whole wood game. I am starting at ground zero. I built my own chainsaw mill to make use of beetle killed spruce from my girls property. Could not see burning it all as firewood. Now custom tables. It’s a new sickness I tell you.

I’m new to the whole wood game. I am starting at ground zero. I built my own chainsaw mill to make use of beetle killed spruce from my girls property. Could not see burning it all as firewood. Now custom tables. It’s a new sickness I tell you.
Hopefully you won’t get the dreaded CAD, I stared with a worn out old saw10 yrs ago, now I have at least 20 in my garage.

Great job on the table, sure she will be encouraged. You look much smaller than I imagined :rolleyes::lol:.
Howdy Grizz.
Any tips on making one, Friday I set aside the but end of a cherry log at a buddies, just seemed to nice to cut up for firewood even though it had a little bend in it. It's about 16-20" around.

I like this thread! :yes: has the spirit of true pioneering in it, imo. family land, couple generations old, inherited, not sold... land locked, but then along comes a white knight... and carves out a drive and pad, and makes an heirloom picnic table, by hand, making the lumber hisself from the forests on the land... adds in some nice artwork and personal creativity... reads the wood and the grains... makes the under-supports and well... hope this is a thread with a good future to it for both concerned just like that 'forever finish' on top of the table. Merry Christmas to you also. keep us posted on ur table's progress and land improvements...

zzzz.jpg

and up in Alaska, to boot! :)

Great job on the table, sure she will be encouraged. You look much smaller than I imagined :rolleyes::lol:.

Howdy Grizz.
Any tips on making one, Friday I set aside the but end of a cherry log at a buddies, just seemed to nice to cut up for firewood even though it had a little bend in it. It's about 16-20" around.
His table looks pretty much like the design we used, only thing we did different was to edge the pieces for the top so that the live edges were only on the 2 outer edges. It also helps if the slabs are seasoned. Green slabs tend to warp, depending on species and how seasoned they are. Make you slabs 2 1/2” thick so you can use a skillsaw to trim the boards for the top. Never worked much with cherry so results may vary, we use mostly cedar or Douglas fir, but blue stain pine make some fine tables too. I’m thinking log like yours may not have enough girth to make a pic nic table. Probably enough for a beautiful table top though.:cool:

His table looks pretty much like the design we used, only thing we did different was to edge the pieces for the top so that the live edges were only on the 2 outer edges. It also helps if the slabs are seasoned. Green slabs tend to warp, depending on species and how seasoned they are. Make you slabs 2 1/2” thick so you can use a skillsaw to trim the boards for the top. Never worked much with cherry so results may vary, we use mostly cedar or Douglas fir, but blue stain pine make some fine tables too. I’m thinking log like yours may not have enough girth to make a pic nic table. Probably enough for a beautiful table top though.:cool:
Thanks.
I was thinking a bench when I walked away from it, but you know how that goes, I'll have to see it again to make a plan.
The 2.5" is a great idea, that's the kind of info that saves a lot of time/$, I've seen the jugs for trimming slabs with a saw, but why buy/use those if I can use a circular saw :cheers:.
I've had the chainsaw mill in the basement for a long time just waiting for a project, maybe this will be it.

Hopefully you won’t get the dreaded CAD, I stared with a worn out old saw10 yrs ago, now I have at least 20 in my garage.
I have built a homemade cnc plasma table a few years back. I’m trying to go back in time. Been looking at steam powered sawmills lately. So don’t think I will ever go to the cad side. Been there done that. May adapt the plasma table into a routing table as a project who knows it would not take much I built with the thought that I might want to change the work heads out on it.

I have built a homemade cnc plasma table a few years back. I’m trying to go back in time. Been looking at steam powered sawmills lately. So don’t think I will ever go to the cad side. Been there done that. May adapt the plasma table into a routing table as a project who knows it would not take much I built with the thought that I might want to change the work heads out on it.

keep us posted on your projects and progress.... :yes:

It’s not as good as it should be. I have the 2” at 14% and not sure on the little stuff. It was more just testing and learning. I was bored. Lol. Can’t get to my wood yard till next weekend and no logs to mill here.
The epoxy resin has a tough time if it’s not fully seasoned, that’s the reason I brought it up.

Back