Picture of a Snow Damaged Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfrazier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is my brother in law's place a few miles west of Creswell Oregon - damage is due to a heavy wet snow we had in February.

Imagine the fire risk here come August?

daves-disaster.jpg

Lots of Spruce and Pine to cut there.
What do you do with the smaller limbs and needles?
I've stacked them for natural wild animal shelter.
I saw a Mink come out from one pile last winter and also saw a rabbit, squirrels, Eastern chipmunks and partridge use it too.
What a great idea! I'll try to do that with my limbs/brush when I have the time.

Lots of Spruce and Pine to cut there.
What do you do with the smaller limbs and needles?
I've stacked them for natural wild animal shelter.
I saw a Mink come out from one pile last winter and also saw a rabbit, squirrels, Eastern chipmunks and partridge use it too.

No Pine. No Spruce. That's all Douglas Fir. I'm a pile burner as wildfire is a big concern to me, brother in law in photo leaves his piles tight down on the ground. In our climate small limbs and such will rot into duff in a few years... or burn first. Stems will all become firewood. Like your idea of leaving it for small animals.

Get a de barker, They make lumber to make furniture?

When I was doing a job for the state I left piles of branches because there was foot prints going in them. The forest ranger questioned why I left them I showed him. Be kind to wildlife they have it hard enough.

Back