Picture of your special spot where you spend your summer!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from our Tuna Tournament. It's a 3 day tournament and each boat fishes 2 days and has to take one day off. My buddy that owns the boat is 72 and he said that running 70 miles in rough water is just beating him up too much, so he's trying to pick his days. We were supposed to fish Friday and Saturday. I got sick Wednesday, so when he called and said he was switching our days because they were calling for winds and rough seas Friday, I didn't argue. Turned out to be a beautiful day Friday and the 3-4 boats that went out just tore up the Tuna, lots of Yellowfin in the 35-45 pound range, a couple Bluefin in the 70-90 pound range, and 1 Bigeye that I think was over 100 pounds. Tuna are very temp sensitive and we were looking for water in the 68* range. For the guys that know the Mid Atlantic area, we started in the Washington Canyon and trolled toward Poor Mans canyon. Both days the ocean was like a sheet of glass, great for high speed running, but, I never seem to do well in flat water. We had 5-6 of our boats fishing the general area and we stay pretty friendly and talk back and forth on water conditions and such. I guess it was a combination of currents and wind, but the water temps were all broken up in pools a mile or two wide. We could be in water 64*, too cold, and a friend would be in sight and the temp would be 70*. Guys would troll through a good zone and pick up one fish then nothing for hours. I guess the schools were really broken up. We managed to boat 2 small Mahi and 2 small Yellowfin. We put our smallest guy in the picture trying to make the fish look bigger! It was still beautiful weather, and as they say, "A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work!"
NWMrR1j.jpg

H4cxrzj.jpg

pYfodQm.jpg

NvgMGTS.jpg

I still like going to my mount hidden away from all distractions and just cut wood. Mule deer come on by often just to hang out at camp. An occasional cougar wonders by, but does not stay. Eagles hawks and a host of other birds keep me scanning the horizons watching dog fights and other activities. Big Horn sheep watch from a distance, but none the less keep watching. Thanks

Attachments

• D7A.jpg
    D7A.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DCP03610.JPG
    DCP03610.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1351Wb.jpg
    IMG_1351Wb.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 30
I still like going to my mount hidden away from all distractions and just cut wood. Mule deer come on by often just to hang out at camp. An occasional cougar wonders by, but does not stay. Eagles hawks and a host of other birds keep me scanning the horizons watching dog fights and other activities. Big Horn sheep watch from a distance, but none the less keep watching. Thanks
When was the last fire?

Just can't beat that Ted. The Bald Eagle has made a giant come back on the East Coast. The first one I saw I just gaped at it. Now, they are still beautiful birds, but I don't slam on the breaks when I see one. I can see it being real peaceful up there.

Just can't beat that Ted. The Bald Eagle has made a giant come back on the East Coast. The first one I saw I just gaped at it. Now, they are still beautiful birds, but I don't slam on the breaks when I see one. I can see it being real peaceful up there.

My dog who insists no matter what we go for a walk every evening. So we are walking along late in the aft and we hear some ruffling to find a very large male bald eagle tearing up a squirrel. First time ever found a beautiful eagle no more than 6 feet away in its natural place. It was actually a little scary since my little dog would be not much of a challenge for him to add to his menu. His wingspan was easily as wide as my outstretched arms. His claws were just ripping that squirrel carcass like it was toilet paper. So we watched for a few moments and then made a wide path around him to continue. BTW that eagle did not seem too worried about us watching him as I think I was more concerned about him.

It seems strange that I am less than 100 miles East of Los Angeles, less than 5 miles North of the Ontario International Airport, but a 2 1/2 hour drive to the nearest paved road. During the summer the area is completely closed to recreation activity, USDA guards maybe come once during the whole year when the gate is closed. So yeah it is quite peaceful you might say it is downright quiet. A view from 6,000 feet at 4 AM. Thanks

Attachments

• Sevnsunrs.JPG
    Sevnsunrs.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 24
We have two breeding pairs with in 5 minutes of my place. One near project 70/lake Marburg and one near the old water dam. I've been out fished by the eagles many time.

BNSF yard in La Crosse, WI. Went down there back on Memorial Day. This picture is from a pedestrian bridge on the north side of the yard. It's a smaller yard but needless to say I'll be back in the future.

View attachment 659894
@GrizzlyAdams86 Next time you are down this way, let me know. I am just a few miles north of La Crosse. Maybe we could get together.

Latest posts

Back