pictures of log loads then and now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice ta see you're still scouring the archives BigMac! That first pic looks like one of the big (16' bed I think) 'off road' rigs M&B use to run on Van Isl., hitched a ride in one going down to Chemanus mill one day after pulling an ankle planting trees, it was certainly an eye opener and I think my hair stood on end for a week after that ride (about 15miles, mostly downhill). Have ta have the utmost respect for the guys driving those monsters, can't even start to imagine coming down the moutain in the early days with a load on. *pats down hairs again*
Thankyou!

:cheers: And keep up the great work!

Serge

We've still got one of those old tressels standing right outside of town. Not quite as tall, but awsome none the less. We are working on some grant's to keep her standing.
Keep em coming guys, this is great.

Andy

a few more photos.

Both you gentlemen have begun a wonderful archive of historical photos and I truly hope that Darin & co are able to keep these available to the world at large, through thick and thin, its an amazing history and the pics have been awsome, thankyou for both your skills in re-sizing them so even us dial-up dinos can enjoy them.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

And a huge :cheers: ta ya's!!!

Like Sprig said above, I really dig these old pics too and this one is a classic.
Hard rubber tires on a cross-planked road carrying a small part of one log.
No air brakes and I bet you checked your brake pad on that hand-brake before every load too.
The oldest trucks I dealt with were Pacific Stirlings chain drives converted to conventional drive via 4640 Timken rear-ends. They were orignally 1950 vintage and still had some of the old original parts on them.
MOst of the trucks I bought parts for were the Hayes HDX or the Pacific P-16's, although I also dealt with some Mack CL-350 ST trucks, of which only 26 were ever made.
Geeze those old guys had some courage to drive some of those things, although it takes some good skill and lots of common sense to wrestle 100 tons of logs off the mountainside driving a P-16 or an HDX too.
Lots more power and much better braking on the modern trucks, with most having 12V-71 GMC diesels and many are twin-turboed nowadays too.
Clark 91,000 rear ends behind an Allison tranny with a comprehensive air-brake system is what allows the modern logger to get those big loads out.
When I worked in Gold River we would get between 32 and 40 loads a day and many were in the 100 ton range. The dump had a scale on it so every load was weighed as it came off the truck.

Geeze, heckuva summer storm happening outside right now....thunder and lightning and hail etc. etc.
Dogs are spooked and the birds outside in the aviary are all taking baths.
Crazy. :D

Take care.

attachment.php

Back