Piltz dual felling dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see quite a few busted up saw cases from junk like that.
As said excess loading enough to stall out saw & could bust the cases you also lose 4 or more usable inches of bar length I know nothing of the guys capabilities but to me any one cutting with a chainsaw in Croks or bare foot leaves a bit to be desired also his answers to questions/complaints on his web page means I would steer clear of his advice or whatever

Seems like these make good sense, but I rarely use the single inside OEM dog. Will the advantages of the dual dogs become apparent and useful once I actually fit my ms461 with these twin dogs?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PILTZ-Chai...=item3f54f2ebd4:g:v80AAOSw4HVWFBhA:rk:19:pf:0

I just have to ask, what the heck are you cutting in Montana that you would need a set of dawgs like those for? I know the big West coast trees have heavy thick bark and some fallers out there use bigger dawgs than us fellers on the East coast. I for one did away with dawgs after putting the big reed valve saws on the shelf, those saws were heavy but modern saws are light and I have no need to rest the powerhead against a tree when felling or bucking. I have yet to see trees in the interior that require felling dawgs, only users that think big dawgs look cool but in reality they suck.

I just have to ask, what the heck are you cutting in Montana that you would need a set of dawgs like those for? I know the big West coast trees have heavy thick bark and some fallers out there use bigger dawgs than us fellers on the East coast. I for one did away with dawgs after putting the big reed valve saws on the shelf, those saws were heavy but modern saws are light and I have no need to rest the powerhead against a tree when felling or bucking. I have yet to see trees in the interior that require felling dawgs, only users that think big dawgs look cool but in reality they suck.

From starting and reading this thread, the answer is nothing. I am glad I asked. I don't have $40 to spend on something of no practical use to me.

Im just glad to see a few folks here have actually used a saw enough to know what they are talking about! When I posted on another site about taking the inner set of dawgs off all my saws before ever using them people thought it was crazy. 2 sets of dawgs WILL BREAK YOUR CASE if you use the saw to fell timber! If you have those dawgs buried when the tree starts to fall its going to try to pull your saw apart. Even those that try to come across as professional timber cutters said they had never seen it happen! I HAVE!

Im just glad to see a few folks here have actually used a saw enough to know what they are talking about! When I posted on another site about taking the inner set of dawgs off all my saws before ever using them people thought it was crazy. 2 sets of dawgs WILL BREAK YOUR CASE if you use the saw to fell timber! If you have those dawgs buried when the tree starts to fall its going to try to pull your saw apart. Even those that try to come across as professional timber cutters said they had never seen it happen! I HAVE!

On the rare occasion that I use the inner dog, it is to speed up the cutting when the tree is on the road. The 290 can't handle much of any force, only the 461 can handle the additional leveraged force, and as much as I can apply. I really didn't think about them for falling. When I drop a tree, there is no rush, as I watch it like a hawk, eager for the earliest chance to get out of the way. But I see what you mean, 10's of tons pulling on buried sets of dogs could very easily split a saw apart without much effort or hesitation.

Again... I must be missing something
His listings of "hot saws" are just stock saws with different bar chain and sprocket. Maybe spikes as well. Maybe when he did not have one he made the price super high like some do which is against the rules but rules do not seem to mean a lot pertaining to that sort of thing. Some of his statements seem contrary to actual fact, or fact according to Stihl. Especially pertaining to the max length bar for a specific powerhead and/or chain type. But the milling guys seem to go longer than factory spec as well at least pertaining to the chain. He sells rope or line climbing hardware. I have bought some picco chain from him. I did not like his splice but he sent me parts to re do. Lately I got an Oregon drive sprocket, maybe a couple it was easier than searching for a misplaced one. no problem was genuine, I would buy a 25 foot section of Stihl chain from him if I needed or wanted. I do not use that type of rope or line can not comment on that product. He seems to be a seller of Cannon bars.

As to the spikes in post !, do folks think the case gets broken when the chain grabs and the powerhead is slammed into the tree or log would be the most likely cause of damage to the powerhead.

His listings of "hot saws" are just stock saws with different bar chain and sprocket. Maybe spikes as well. Maybe when he did not have one he made the price super high like some do which is against the rules but rules do not seem to mean a lot pertaining to that sort of thing. Some of his statements seem contrary to actual fact, or fact according to Stihl. Especially pertaining to the max length bar for a specific powerhead and/or chain type. But the milling guys seem to go longer than factory spec as well at least pertaining to the chain. He sells rope or line climbing hardware. I have bought some picco chain from him. I did not like his splice but he sent me parts to re do. Lately I got an Oregon drive sprocket, no problem was genuine, I would buy a 25 foot section of Stihl chain from him if I needed or wanted. I do not use that type of rope or line can not comment on that product. He seems to be a seller of Cannon bars.

Ah... Thanks for the clarification, truly!

I had to order a pair. Nice, very nice! I will have to go to the hardware store to get the nuts and bolts to fit the outer dog, but the inner dog is on and Wow!!! At least a 5% power increase, and with the outer on, can I expect another 5% or possibly another 10%?

I found on Ebay the Roller Chain Catcher for $7 w/ shipping included. How much HP does a Roller Catcher add? Gots to be at least another 5%, right?

I ordered a set of the 461 "R" spikes for my saw. I do admit they are probably not real necessary in New England. I got them cause I don't want to be constantly hitting the front of the saw into the wood while bucking. Plus my Dolkita 6401 comes stock with some pretty impressive stock dogs and just got used to running that saw with them, so wanted similar on the 461.

Don’t buy things from that twit.

Unless you’re running a big saw in big wood .... big dawgs are simply for looks.

Kinda like a tiger decal on a clapped-out '84 Celica with a big homemade whale tail spoiler and logograms that say, "I'm a douchebag"

Not-Packaged-160cm-Big-Size-Car-Sticker-SeChinese-Ink-Painting-Tiger-Mountain-Decal-Whole-Body-Car-Body-Covers-for-Volkswagen-Auto-Accessories-Car-Stickers-wmu0.jpg

I made the trip to the HW store and the outer dogs is now on. Definitely another 5% increase in power.

The ultimate effect should be achieved with the installation of the Roller Catcher, (i.e. the Power Coupler).

Something like this ->

latest

Back