Pin oak not budding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbdpayne

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Located in western pa. This oak was planted last october. It appreared healthy then. It stands about 10' tall, we wrapped it for the winter and it just hasnt started to bud since the weather has warmed up. We unwrapped it, and the trunk looks fine about 3 feet from ground level, but from there up has a light blue fungi look to it. Any ideas?

wrap tends to cause issues from a long time ago experience. fungus not good but maybe try a fungicide or copper possibly? wait and see what happens. sometimes things take time. all of my trees and some of the smaller ones deer ate are shooting and budding at completely different rates. my pin oak that got nibbled has 1 tiny bud. i also have a red oak with tiny bud and also a red Jap maple. all others are in a better place than others. my vineyards are all totally wacked out this year. i have 2 with 2 different microclimates and even within these - the various vines and cordons are shooting more and leeserthan others. give it a chance. my 2 cents.

wrap tends to cause issues from a long time ago experience. fungus not good but maybe try a fungicide or copper possibly? wait and see what happens. sometimes things take time. all of my trees and some of the smaller ones deer ate are shooting and budding at completely different rates. my pin oak that got nibbled has 1 tiny bud. i also have a red oak with tiny bud and also a red Jap maple. all others are in a better place than others. my vineyards are all totally wacked out this year. i have 2 with 2 different microclimates and even within these - the various vines and cordons are shooting more and leeserthan others. give it a chance. my 2 cents.
Thank you, yea im gonna see how it plays out here. I bought this one from the local nursery, but my woodline have plenty of smaller saplings that are budding just fine

if you see lower buds shoot and the top looks dead that snip back and let a new leader shoot out. i have had to do that a number of times.

A couple photos of what i was talking about. Ill def give it a few more weeks and see. I may till up the ground around a bit more and get new mulch down
20210403_173608.jpg20210403_173622.jpg

looks like scale or smetimes lichens on it. i have had stuff on my maple that never affected it. i also get that on vines too in the vineyard. there was an organice stuff that i used years ago that worked on scale i believe - it was a non dormant oil. i looked around and i do not see it so maybe the brand i used is no longer available or at least from certain supplies i searched. do the tips look like the ends are swollen at all?

looks like scale or smetimes lichens on it. i have had stuff on my maple that never affected it. i also get that on vines too in the vineyard. there was an organice stuff that i used years ago that worked on scale i believe - it was a non dormant oil. i looked around and i do not see it so maybe the brand i used is no longer available or at least from certain supplies i searched. do the tips look like the ends are swollen at all?
The ends actually dont have the lichen on them, they still have some color but the buds being so small are hard to tell. They almost look gray. I tried to take a picture with my phone but dang autofocus sucks lol20210403_190650.jpg20210403_190758.jpg20210403_190704.jpg

tough to see but looks like something is happening. plus you are in PA so you are behind me weather wise. i am originally from WNY and Ontario CA so that is even behind you as such. keep an eye on them you would be surprised! Good luck my friend!

tough to see but looks like something is happening. plus you are in PA so you are behind me weather wise. i am originally from WNY and Ontario CA so that is even behind you as such. keep an eye on them you would be surprised! Good luck my friend!
10 4! Yea hopefully the weather has been all over here. I have some 22 year old pin oakd budding but they are obviously much older. Thanks for all of the advice!

i love pin oaks

keep me posted. when some of my stuff starts popping may take some terrible cam pics for you to see

Those look pretty crispy. Scrape a little bark...is it green under there? Break a bud or two off. Are they green or do they snap off dry?

Don't do anything abut the lichens...they are beneficial organisms.

Those look pretty crispy. Scrape a little bark...is it green under there? Break a bud or two off. Are they green or do they snap off dry?

Don't do anything abut the lichens...they are beneficial organisms.
Yes sir. Well i hadnt scraped it off per say, i pruned a couple small spots off and it did have a green ring between the bark and inside of those pruned spots. Which to my understanding is a good sign? I can scrape some a little lower and higher off of the bark tomrrow

sorry fingers are arthritic beyond belief. i mean action - as of it is in process of budding/growth/opening. Ok? sorry about that.

you break off one bud - maybe ok... but you start breaking off too many buds and that is all new growth that will not happen or become stunted or undeveloped and also can affect shape of branch/tree.

you break off one bud - maybe ok... but you start breaking off too many buds and that is all new growth that will not happen or become stunted or undeveloped and also can affect shape of branch/tree.
Ahh ok ok i gotcha, yepp im gonna give it a week or so and see how it looks here

If it ends up being dead i'd feel bad for trying to help. Good luck.

Just an aside: i have some swamp maples they call them here that is a row on the back side of my property line mixed with pines. every year - there are a lot that leaf out while others are just pre=op mode so go figure.I have noticed it again this year the last few weeks. all same maples and all planted the same time - 25 plus years ago. Go figure.

Breaking a few buds off of twigs - or even whole twigs - won't make a difference...especially if you aren't breaking them off the tips of the branches (terminal buds).

Are you thinking you'd replace it yet this spring if it is dead? If so, test a few more. If not, then no rush...see what happens and replace it in the fall if it is dead.

Back