Pin oak not budding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also located in WPA. Too early, oaks are always last to leaf out. Give it another month!

did it pop yet??
Unfortunately it did not. Sorry its been a qhile everyone. Kept a close eye, and pretty sure i got a dud pin oak. We have been dealing with a few other things on our 2 acre property as well. Had a local aborist come out to give me an insight and walk everything out here. He confirmed it was toast. In my defense, i wish i had planted and bought in the spring, but live and learn. With that said, i have my 5 spruce that have needle cast that ill be removing, one cherry about done, and an ash. We will be replanting around of course and replacing that pin oak i bought.

The ash though suffered from fire blight. I was told to cut it during the dormant season to prevent the spread to my other trees. Any insight on this? Its got a couple birch, mimosa, red maple, and crimson king maple, as well as burning bushes near this ash. I havent seen but are these susceptible the the blight if it were cut this summer?

Unfortunately it did not. Sorry its been a qhile everyone. Kept a close eye, and pretty sure i got a dud pin oak. We have been dealing with a few other things on our 2 acre property as well. Had a local aborist come out to give me an insight and walk everything out here. He confirmed it was toast. In my defense, i wish i had planted and bought in the spring, but live and learn. With that said, i have my 5 spruce that have needle cast that ill be removing, one cherry about done, and an ash. We will be replanting around of course and replacing that pin oak i bought.

The ash though suffered from fire blight. I was told to cut it during the dormant season to prevent the spread to my other trees. Any insight on this? Its got a couple birch, mimosa, red maple, and crimson king maple, as well as burning bushes near this ash. I havent seen but are these susceptible the the blight if it were cut this summer?
Mountain Ash?
No worries of FB spreading to any of the trees you mentioned.

Mountain Ash?
No worries of FB spreading to any of the trees you mentioned.
Yes sir it was mountain ash. Looked pretty good but im no professional and missed it. We lost half of the tree by last summer and the just about gone this year. Maybe a 5 foot canopy left, the rest falling off. Other than that we love the property. It has am assortment of White pine, hemlock, Norway spruce, Sugar maple, Crimson king, Red/white/pin oak, Locust, and Walnut. Im planning on cutting the cherry and ash to start, will do the normal stump grinding, and relocate a new tree somewhere near the old ash and replace that pin oak that was next to the cherry. Other than the just the usual bugs and carpenter ants to deal with. Once those are done i will probably nip the spruce the following year (they arent completely gone yet). Ash is in between the 2 birch in the photo.

Edit: insdde of the hedgerow of burning bushes, there is a line of spyrea which looks like it could be affected. But that would be it would be my guess

Attachments

• 20210620_202256.jpg
    20210620_202256.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 2
Yes, Spyrea can be infected with FB. Everything else your good on though.
Copy that, not as worried about the spirea as much as i am the trees. I am really surprised it has not affected them yet

It won’t. They aren’t susceptible to fire blight. Only trees/plants in the Pome family are.
Copy that thats good to hear, thank you as for the pin oak, def will be keeping a better eye. Still probably going to go with am oak

Back