Pin Oak Survival after pruning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimE

Reaction score
I have a pin oak tree that is 35 - 40 years old. Yesterday my neighbor had all the branches on the north side of the tree removed since they cross the property line. I am wondering if anyone can give me a best guess for the health and survival of this tree.

Pin oaks are hardy, very likely that the tree will survive. Some states have laws on devaluing property line trees by improper pruning. Check with your town tree warden. Also you have the issue of trespass if the branches have been cut on your side of the line.

Ohio law allows you to cut the branches over your property line straight up to the sky...as long as it is not significantly detrimental to the health of the tree. Assuming it would be difficult to take more than 1/3 of the total branches off staying on his side of the line, it is probably going to be fine. Were they good pruning cuts? Common courtesy would suggest they talk with you first...but not a legal necessity. I won't prune a neighbor's tree without permission. Not that it is needed, but I don't need to go looking for trouble. If the two neighbor's can't get along, at least one is probably a loudmouth jerk and I don't need them disliking me!

Back