PINE BEETLES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimS

Reaction score
I live in central Florida and have many pines trees in my yard. I have just cut down about 7 dead trees that looked to be infected with a small white worm. Before the trees were cut down you could actually hear them munching on the tree. I am assuming that these white worms transform into beetles and fly to other trees. I have all the dead ones down but I am finding others that are still green but look to have something boring into the base of the tree. Is there something that I can do to save these trees or do I need to just wait for the drought to end and hope the trees will become heartier?

Hope this helps

Jim,
I have a site with excellent info on your problem. It will tell you everything from, if its what you have to what you can do about it. Try it!! http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b1097-w.html I thought it would help doing it this way as it has far more info than I can type.

If this doesnt sound like what you have let us know we will do more research. Actually we would like to know if it is or not. Thanks,
Darin

Thanks so much for the information. It looks like this will let me know exactly which type of beetle I have. I will check it hopefully tonight and will let you know what I find. Thanks again, Jim.....

Hiya Jim! I guess we are neighbors, I have lived in Orlando 32 years now. As for the pine beetles, I have removed many dead pines and heard the boogers munching away as I climbed to the top! Most people don't notice anything untill it is too late. I believe these can be sprayed, but pesticides are not my field of expertise. I do know a man who can diagnose and treat for you here locally. If you call the commercial/residential office of Davey Tree in Maitland (not the utility division in Winter Park), their pest tech is one of the best I ever met. I hope it isn't too late to save your other trees! Tell Scott that Brian said 'hi'

Just a thought on top of the good info given by Darin and Brian. You may have a pine beetle attacking your trees, but you may be hearing round/flat-headed wood borers doing their thing as a secondary agent, once the tree is dead or near death. If you are finding only worms, you may be too late to find pine beetles on the dead trees - look to the living trees to find your cause.

Thanks for your responses. I have found out that what I have are the Ips beetle and also the Turpentine Beetle. Apparently I have these because the trees are under stress due to the drought, the recent construction of the house that left some damage, and also there is St Augestine grass around the trees that are fighting the tree over the ph levels in the ground. I am currently removing the grass and makeing a large bed of pine needles around the trees. I have also been told to spray the remaining trees with Dursban or Lindane to stop the beetles from attacking other trees. As far as the drought we can only hope for the rainy season to start early. The Turpentine Beetle I am told does not present any harm to the trees at this time.

Thanks again
Jim..............

Back