Pine sap........does it affect the fire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious if pine sap affects the quality of a fire within the wood stove. Can the burning sap create more creosote buildup? Most of my firewood is pine, but seems to have very little pitch. Occasionally I get some pieces that have some excessive amounts on them.

As long as the pine is properly dry and you burn a nice hot fire, no worries.

Save those extra resin bits for getting the fire going in a hurry :)

Ian

Well seasoned pine will do fine. As stated by Ianab, use the pitch to start fires, it doesn't take much though.
Years ago our daughter was watching the rest of the kids on a real cold day, our old house was pretty drafty so she loaded the stove with rocket fuel (pitch). When I came home it must have been 100* in the living room, and the old cast iron stove was glowing red, you could actually see the stove expand as it sucked in air. The flu was glowing all the way up to where it went into the stone chimney. The kids were all just sitting there watching the stove in awe.
I had to get another stove the next morning, and I quit hording so much pitch.

Andy

I guess I didn't know pitch/sap was a super fuel. That stuff sounds like it burns super hot in mass quantity.

Back