pine tree firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siouxindian

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
how long do yall season pine? i never cut it but i got a bought 10 foot long trunk the other day.not sure if 1 year is long enough. lots a pine tar in this tree trunk.

Where are you planning to burn it? Ive burnt pine in my outdoor furnace after a year with no issues. Normally though I try to give it 2 years before I burn it.

A year to two in full sun after being split. If left in the round with bark on out in the elements, it will rot before it dries.

I personally would only use it in an OWB.

Takes to long to dry and high BTU's for short time.
AND if not dried properly, produces significant creasote.

OWB's can handle junk wood " if you must " due to higher temps, short chimneys.

Here in California I sell hundreds of cords of Pine. More than haft of all my customers just buy Pine about $250 a cord. It burns clean and hot of course Oak burns longer. I have had way more problems with folks burning hardwood than burning Pine as far as soot in the chimney. As long as most build a hot fire at least once a week then no problem. During the winter Pine does not season well unless we have a dry spell. During the summer it will take as long as 4 or 5 weeks to get down to 20 to 25% moisture. It is ready to sell in a month if it is green. If the tree died of beetle or something it is ready in a week. Right now I have more Oak than Pine so all my effort is to stockpile Pine. Thanks

Pine does not sell here in Virginia to locals anyway.

True, from VA myself.

Perhaps pine is higher grade on west coast but here you can't even sneak pine in a cord that your selling.....buyer will sniff it out and run ya' off. Lol

Pine is fine in your woodstove. Lotsa baloney has been spread over the years on pine firewood suitability. A year of dry time here after its split and stacked, in my location, is a good plenty of time to get it down to 15-20%. Bingo. Chuck it in. Anybody having trouble seasoning/burning pine is likely to be waaaay off on there hardwood M.C./seasoning.

Most of the western U.S. has burned pine as a staple firewood since day one. Not much choice.

I will add however. To each there own:drinkingcoffee:

You can burn pine in your woodstove. Burned it for years, mostly as shoulder season wood. Make sure it's good and dry before burning. I prefer lodgepole over ponderosa, less pitch & splits easier. Don't know what else you have available but lots of people burn pine without any problem.

Here in California I sell hundreds of cords of Pine. More than haft of all my customers just buy Pine about $250 a cord. It burns clean and hot of course Oak burns longer. I have had way more problems with folks burning hardwood than burning Pine as far as soot in the chimney. As long as most build a hot fire at least once a week then no problem. During the winter Pine does not season well unless we have a dry spell. During the summer it will take as long as 4 or 5 weeks to get down to 20 to 25% moisture. It is ready to sell in a month if it is green. If the tree died of beetle or something it is ready in a week. Right now I have more Oak than Pine so all my effort is to stockpile Pine. Thanks
Ted, I'm with you.... But I must give the devil his due.. It is my belief, but not researched, or tested, or anything like that, that pine is not always just pine. In Florida is (get this), Florida pine.. Can't hardly get a nail in it, ... Now in Washington is ponderosa pine, and others, but just a whole different critter..easy nailing...I have sold pine for half the price of say,, tamarack, chestnut, maple, locust, red for. The lower priced woods are poplar, cottonwood, and pine.. I burn strictly kauls..if I can't sell it, I burn it. When cleaning my flue, I see no big build-ups of creosote.. That's not to say that different pines don't give off more ash than others.

your house and possibly your neighbors will spontaneously combust if you so much as bring a pine split indoors.

burbsburn.png

I'm sitting in front of a pine fire right now, nice and hot. As we're living in a pine forest (Ponderosa pine), there are people here who burn nothing else but pine.

Me, I get all the hardwood I can from town, down at lower elevation, for cold days and overnight fires. But for a quick warm-up, and for the shoulder season, pine works. It's so dry in this country that anything cut and split by about mid-June is seasoned and ready for the stove by the fall burning season. You probably won't get such quick results in other locations.

It is not a problem burning it , hell it burns too fast , may as well have dry Poplar , both will set a heater on fire but will not last the night!

? Guess it depends on your stove. No problem with overnight burns in mine. The Cat really meows when feeding on pine. Interesting stuff.
Maybe not for everybody but it works for me. It's not my go to wood for sure, but I won't let it go to waste by any means. Interesting thread here guys. Enjoying the opinions for sure.

Latest posts

Back