Pine tree issue, is this a disease or is it dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezykid

Reaction score
Hello all. First time poster, long time lurker/reader...

I have three pine trees in my front yard that have been around since before I was alive. One of the trees has a weird bark issue that is exposing the trunk and looks to be dying. Can anyone tell me if this is a possible disease or if this is something that may cause loss of the tree?

Below is a link to some photos of the area with the issue. As you can see, the needles are still green like the other two next to it.

Picture Link

Would appreciate any input!

Thank you!

Hello all. First time poster, long time lurker/reader...

I have three pine trees in my front yard that have been around since before I was alive. One of the trees has a weird bark issue that is exposing the trunk and looks to be dying. Can anyone tell me if this is a possible disease or if this is something that may cause loss of the tree?

Below is a link to some photos of the area with the issue. As you can see, the needles are still green like the other two next to it.

Picture Link

Would appreciate any input!

Thank you!
Looks like an old lightning strike as the reason the bark is missing.

Looks like an old lightning strike as the reason the bark is missing.

Very interesting, thank you for your input. Seems strange with the trunk showing and it does look like it is drying out. Just hope it is not dying.

Back