Pinto prussik on a lanyard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyo_climber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a pinto prussik Kit from tree stuff in hopes that I could use it on an adjustable lanyard. Does anybody use this set up on a lanyard? If so, can you please post a picture. The way I have it set up, it seems to be backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it was designed to be a lanyard adjuster, I believe it is supposed to be a midline attachable pulley. That being said, I think it would work ok if you do your prusik normally, then run the tail of the lanyard between the sheave and the Becket and clip your carabiner to the Becket.

I am actually going to return it, I am sure it would work, but I would rather get the right stuff. I believe it was designed for use in a climbing line. I will just be getting a micro pulley and 8mm eye and eye and rigging it similar to a hitch climber. Less money and not as bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pinto on one side and a micro on the other. Love both sides the same

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The best lanyard adjusters are the ART Positioner, Trango Cinch, and Petzl Zillon or Grillon. Hitches are just OK. Rope grabs are just for steel core since that's all you can use really.

Here's my inexpensive 30ft. lanyard. I often use it as a second system when double crotching. Distal hitch on the rope and fisherman's on the biner for the tress cord. Fisheman's on the aluminum snap. That is a $5 swivel dog leash used for slack tending. System works great.

Other than replacing the tress cord and rope I've used this set up for seven or eight years now.

Lanyard inexpensive resized.jpg

I disagree that hitches are just "ok". They can perform great when the right cord in the right length is tied in the right hitch on the right rope. I know that's alot of rights, but if you take the time to sort through it you will find the customization and adjustability 2nd to none. Plus they cost a fraction of what a really nice mechanical adjuster costs.
You can use a hitch on steel core although they do not tend slack one handed as easily as rope because of the decreased flexibility. I use a ropegrab on my steel core but I don't use a steel core every day.
Here is my lightweight, compact and super inexpensive lanyard setup. Tends or releases with one hand and has virually no sitback. 20' long for when you need it.

If I'm not mistaken, the pinto is what is used on the CE lanyard. I like the idea of being able to connect to the pulley if needed. But I haven't tried it.

Im using a pinto pulley and 8 mm e to e bee line on 16 ft of 11mm rope. I use a vt. I do experience some set back at times but no big deal. The only bad thing about it is its useless on sappy trees. It'll freeze up and become impossible to move.

Back