Pioneer 3270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FN338

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I have just been given a Pioneer 3270 that has been hidden away in a shed for a very long time. It is missing the pull start cord but other than that it appears to be in fairly reasonable condition for a saw made somewhere around 1970 (serial number is: 30327). Is it worth much? It looks as though it would be a great candidate for a restoration but just thought that I would ask if it is worth the time and effort/expense?

Cheers

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to use it as a working saw, you might find it a little heavy and it's a manual oiler so you will have to train your thumb. Also the lack of anti-vibe will get to your hands and of course, no chain brake if that's a concern. Many of us (especially Canadians) love those older saws and would always restore it to at least running condition for occasional use. Those saws were made to last and that one has points/magneto ignition so it probably has a working ignition and if the basic engine is solid then it might just require a carb kit, fuel lines and maybe a capacitor for the ignition. Worth doing some basic testing to see if it has good compression, a crankcase that will hold pressure and a good spark from the ignition, then you will know what you are getting into.

These are good old saws - I had one many years ago and enjoyed running it. I know @cbfarmall has one currently and has posted about it.

I have 3 currently plus a 3200. 77cc and I think 3270S is pretty powerful for its size and era. Worthwhile to fix but the primer will give you some trouble.

Like the other guy said, let's see some pictures.

Chris B.

These saws use a standard Tillotson HL carb, possibly a semi-fixed high speed jet. The primer draws fuel through a separate fuel line leading a separate fuel tank fitting. The primers have inlet and outlet check valves, both repairable. The primer pump is a diaphragm. You may get lucky and this will be functional. I have made one in the past. Pioneer did some weird things back then, not unlike McCulloch. At least the ignitions and carbs are standard. Good luck.

I had a 1420 pioneer that had the same type of primer (bad). I wound up replacing it with the cheap bulb style after attempts to fix the old one failed. Made a simple adapter for the existing hole, installed and worked perfectly. Nice saw but it was replaced by the p-40.
Hope yours is good internally, they make good power and are worth some TLC if everything is okay.

Found an 1130 at a dump last month turns good clean tank almost like it was drained.
Have a couple 3200 that came from the dump as well,they had dark green paint which was pretty intact,but the 1130 looks like yours

Back